Misadventures In Baja 2023

Condor

A friend told me years ago that if you try to sneak gold "nuggets" out of the country, you are charged with "stealing from the wealth of the nation". He highly recommended us not to go there as the results are not worth imprisonment in a Mexican jail and the loss of your belongings. This was not the Baja area. 

• Like 2

Years ago I ran into a miner up in the Sierras that got to talking.  The guy was a very savy miner and spent some winters down in Baja. He and his partner or it was his buddys, dug 1 mill in one season. I asked how they got the pile back home, as thats quite the handful. He said, carefully hidden in the frame of their truck.

Been going to Baja for over 40 years exploring, fishing,  diving and prospecting.  The biggest fish I've ever caught and largest nuggets I've ever found have been down there. Going to Mexico used to be safe for the most part however in recent years, this is no longer so.  Mainly because of organized crime and the epidemic of violence. The Mexican culture is rich and the people are wonderful. BUT  their country and the fabric of their society is under tremendous strain,  breaking down and I feel Mexico is in danger of becoming a failed state (remember Columbia not too long ago).  I stopped going down recently because of a couple close calls,  one of which I was lucky to escape from.  Anyone considering prospecting in Mexico should consider all of the risks for sure.  The average American has no business going down these days.  

Steven;  I hope the information I shared with you was of some help.......good luck and safe adventures

• Like 8

To this day I still have no interest in Mexico because of the corruption and gangs.

Once in a while I have to work in their waters and hate all the paperwork and inspections that they want to do.

With the right amount of money they always leave you alone, but I always loose money when on those jobs.

I have no reason to go there just to hunt gold or anything else as there is always better here in the states.

• Like 1

One thing you're confirming:  the tougher the conditions the more likely it is to find gold just for the sheer lack of competition.  So far it sounds as thought the RAZR is handling the conditions a bit better than the occupants.  But if one is going to stop working we all know which one to vote for!

Thanks and keep up the interesting reports.

• Like 3