Woo Hoo! Update On My Silver Sandwich!

IdahoPeg

Hey Guys! Remember this thing that I found on Florida’s Treasure Coast a couple weeks ago and posted about? I was so disappointed there were no visible markings to link it to the1715 Spanish Fleet that sunk during a hurricane.

2E2D4AEE-814D-4FC5-AE3E-4A0B3C920B22.thumb.jpeg.3fb1886815cfcb8668f320890496eaf0.jpeg8FF16CC5-5199-4BC3-A198-00B622D0C2A1.thumb.jpeg.aed2131b57a4fd28df6e8e41746d5628.jpeg

Well, I decided to carefully try to separate the silver sandwich with a paring knife, and was successful with minimal damage. The inside surfaces were dark and thick with corrosion but I kept working on them(rubbing on wet aluminum foil did the best...very time consuming. I don’t have an electrolysis setup yet). 

So glad I did it! I’ve definitely found my 1st Pieces of Eight finally (1/2 Reales likely)! Minted in Mexico between 1700-1715 during Philip V’s reign in Spain, if my research is correct.

31E5C264-7AAC-4013-9DF2-CC7AF66884AB.thumb.jpeg.a98e1ee705d3a1bb74ad21e6c76273d2.jpeg

They may be little, but I’m tickled pink with them! 🙂

Holy cow!  THAT IS TERRIFIC, Peg!  What a nice surprise!

Steve

Peg, that is outstanding!!! I can see that big smile on your face!

I hope you have some bad weather to shift that sand around. Go get them girl!
Have some more great days on the beach,
Chet

I've never had that great of a post-hunt surprise and probably never will.  Great job, both in your hunt but also in your perseverance to find out what you really had, and well deserved , too.  A great piece(s) of history to boot!

49 minutes ago, FloridaSon said:

What a great find, and you kept at it. Way to go! I gave up on that stretch after all the renourishment sand pumped on it a few months ago. Really glad for you, you are keeping the dream alive!

That is a great find!

It was basically a one day event at one of the several beaches I checked that day...nice big cut! But the morons are AGAIN renourishing the whole area now, so we’ll need a huge Nor’easter to come by to open things up again. What a waste of money.

Great finds once again Peg, so glad you were able to identify them.

So glad you shared the pictures with us.

Too cool!

Now find a gold sandwich!!👍👍