Jp’s Gold Thread

I used this online gold calculator.  It does allow you to take into consideration a lot of different host rock/quartz if you know its specific gravity.

I 'played' with the formula years ago when I found a couple of nice specimen and there is a margin of error for quartz.  I also found a specimen with my 800 a couple of years ago that had very little gold.  I had to be very, very careful in my weight measurements in order to get a 'reasonable' estimate as I'm not going to dolly it up.

It is also possible to come pretty close by weighing my specimen and weighing a similar size piece of local quartz.  The difference in weight between those two in dry air give you the weight of gold.

http://www.desert-gold-diggers.org/gold/specgrav.htm#:~:text=Specific Gravity Formulas,all in some other unit.&text=Wg %3D Wsa * A,sw * A * B).

18 minutes ago, davsgold said:

I use this XLS spreadsheet to get an idea of gold content, you can change some of the parameters.

Thanks. I think the question is whether you can use the density of quartz all the time, as in the spread sheet. I suspect that if the host rock is not quartz, then the formula might not be accurate. The formula I used determines the specific gravity of the specimen  regardless of what the host rock is. Let's see how much JP gets at the end 🙂

1 hour ago, davsgold said:

I use this XLS spreadsheet to get an idea of gold content, you can change some of the parameters.

Gold specie calculator.xls 46 kB · 7 downloads

So what did you come up with using your calculator Dave?

JP, can you give us what you think is the average purity of the gold in your area?

24 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

96% to 97% pure

In that case, using a purity of 96.5%, my estimate is 68.1 grams of gold. I believe the formula that you are using assumes a purity of 85%.

2 minutes ago, Lunk said:

In that case, using a purity of 96.5%, my estimate is 68.1 grams of gold. I believe the formula that you are using assumes a purity of 85%.

Interesting 🤔