Back Into The Swing Of Things

Let me start off by saying it's been about 40 days since I last detected. I've had a run of bad luck that started on June 3rd when a bad wind storm  brought down a 90 foot oak tree that hit part of my house. Fixing the damage and sawing up a 50 inch diameter oak was not on my list of things to do, but it got done with the hobby put to pasture for a while. July 4th was my first day out for only an hour and I only found a 1919 wheat penny( I was happy). Between the 10th and the 12th I have about 7 hours swinging. I have been hunting a spot very close to my house and found a couple of cool items. First was a little bronze sleigh bell, not sure that it is, but it looks like one to me. It weigh's 1.04 oz. and is a total of 1 1/4 inches tall. Second was what I think is a 1950's/1960's derringer cap gun. I've never saw one like this. Third was the most interesting to me, it was a weird bronze ingot type of thing. I dug this at close to 14 inches. It looks old and weigh's 4 1/2 0z. Almost looks like it was cast in creek sand/gravel. Anybody that has a guess let me know, this was a 18th century site that has been turned into a camp. Last but not least was all the modern coins an a bunch of trash, I was never so glad to dig trash after that much time away from detecting. I'm quite proud of my trash that's why I took a wonderful photo, Ha Ha. Oh and I forgot to mention the murderous 4 Raccoon's that killed my chicken's, went from 13 to 1 1/2 in one night. I sure hope the 1/2 chicken survives, she's badly wounded. good news is only 2 raccoons left. Hope you guy's enjoy looking, not as good as some of my finds but I was quite happy with only 7 hours out. Sometimes finding junk can still put a smile on your face !!!!

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

Sorry to hear you have been swinging the chain saw more than your detector, but awesome to see you are back out and making some cool finds, love that little gun, well done sir. 

doing my best to make lemon's into lemonade, Thanks HTH

How old is your house! Did you detect where the oak tree uprooted?? That bell looks like a crotal bell! All nice finds! Wish my "older" areas weren't under concrete and asphalt!👍👍

Great finds and glad to see you back again.

Recheck around the tree again as I have found some nice items in those same places. They were deep, and some were in the roots of the tree.

Good hunting your next time out.

House was built in 1953, Nothing around or in the root ball hole. I did count around 297 rings on the tree. 

Wow, that tree has seen alot! Sad it had to go! Especially toward your house! Glad no one was hurt!👍👍

I have only found one crotal bell in all my and wife detecting years.  I consider it as a good find, as you can get. Many thanks to Joe D for letting us know what it was called and used for. My guess was it was used on pets, horse and cart are too big to call them pets.                                                          

They toy pistol is pretty cool, bronze thing looks like it was cast and had gas bubbles leaving the divots on one side. Posssibly used as a fishing net weight? I only found one complete crotel bell, usually find lots of pieces of them in the fields. The peices sound way better than they look.

17 hours ago, dogodog said:

House was built in 1953, Nothing around or in the root ball hole. I did count around 297 rings on the tree.

Wish I could live that long....  Was there a dwelling on the property previous to 1953?  Nice finds.  I wonder what that 4.5 oz bronze chunk is.  Could there have been a forge here in the past?  Sure looks old.  Don't know if you can date the zinc Ball canning jar lid.   (Come on, Tim = 2Valen.  This is why we keep you around!)  I just looked at some lids I have (not metal detected) and the center loop connecting the two lobes of the B on yours appears much better defined than on mine, which I"m guessing are from the 40's or maybe 50's.  My WAG is that yours is pre-WWII.