Beach Hunt Again With The AQ

Got a chance to try the AQ on the wet slopes at one of my beaches. I spent most of the day waiting for a low tide so I could see how the AQ performed for me. This beach is generally protected, so the beach does not get ripped up very often from storms. The first part of the day was using my GPX for the dry sand. Late afternoon I spent 2 ¾ hours on the wet slope with the AQ. I ran mute exclusively with 7.5us. It ran very stable with almost no end of sweep falsing. Really nice and smooth. I am still learning, so I dug everything I heard (and even a couple of nulls) which ended up being a quarter and a toy car. The hair pins and long thin wires all gave a double beep, I will be passing on digging them from now on. I will probably live with digging the bottle caps as there are not as many on the wet slopes as there are on the dry sand. I did find 2 rings and was hoping for gold but stainless 316 and aluminum is all I could muster up. They did come in very strong and were in the 10-12” range. All in all, I am happy with the performance of the AQ and I am sure when I get some hours under my belt, I will be more confident in what to dig. I rarely give up on digging a target once I start, but I had to leave a nice deep small target. The water was filling up the hole and the sides caved in so many times that I gave up on it. This area of the beach has a layer of fine sand followed by a layer or small pebble and shell. The next layer has larger rocks locked together tightly. A small target was located somewhere in that last layer. Using the edge of the coil vertically as a pin pointer on the AQ works excellent. What does not work at all is Garrett's pin pointer in water. Even balancing it to the water does not help. I think if I had a better pin pointer, I would have located that target. Also, I am really liking the ease of using the AQ. It does not take you long to get used to how it works or how it sounds. I think it will work well for my type of beach hunting.

P9180179.JPG

P9180183.JPG

That is a good report for how the detector responds.  My last couple of trips have been deep beaches with little to show for my effort.  I'm wondering what I would find with an AQ in those types of beaches.

The rings I find sound good no matter what metal they are made of.  It falls into that physical shape category that supersedes the metal the object is made of.  It seems to be the opposite of chains which become 'invisible' to all known detectors at depth. 

That is why 2 of my 3 pinpointer's are PI's! The third is the carrot, which hardly gets used! My Treasure Products 585 is my goto, and my PulseDive is the new kid in the arsenal!

Nice pickup on the stud earring! And ring!👍👍

'

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

That is why 2 of my 3 pinpointer's are PI's! The third is the carrot, which hardly gets used! My Treasure Products 585 is my goto, and my PulseDive is the new kid in the arsenal!

Nice pickup on the stud earring! And ring!👍👍

'

Hi Joe, I had purchased one I think it was called land and sea or something like that. Speaker gave out after it took a short fall out of the holder. Took it apart and saw that the speaker was not soldered like in the old days. almost looked glued in place. I also tried the Quest probe. That one is not nearly loud enough to use it near the ocean. Can't hear it with the sound from the waves and can't feel the vibration from it.  Honestly the best pulse I have used was the pistol probe which is not waterproof and looks from a distance like a gun 😲. I would love to have a dependable, loud   pulse pin pointer that is water proof in a Garrett carrot case. Any manufacturers really listening out there ? As far as the studs go, I'm not sure how deep I found them but probably pretty shallow. Some of them gave a double beep, so I probably will be missing them so I don't have to dig hair pins which also give a nice double beep.

Nice report on the AQ. I think when they are finally released to the general public, a lot of people will be lined up waiting to purchase.