Challenge Completed And Missed Nuggets Found

jasong

2 hours ago, strick said:

Thanks for that info as I'd never heard of it before...where does it come from? 

strick 

Hi strick, good to see you are still around. Hope Merton is well.

This thread is VLF but same rules apply, take a look.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/1424-vlf-detectors-and-depth/

Re: EMI with the X-Coil and GPZ7000

Here in Sunny Yuma we have Marine Corps Air Station with training flights every morning.  Nearby we have Yuma Proving Grounds and they have the High Altitude Low Opening parachute training.  They use a C130 plane to haul the paratroopers.  To get to 30,000 ft for the drop they have to circle within their airspace climbing all the while.  When they are up and circling the EMI is awful.  The 17" X-Coil is nearly unusable when that C130 is climbing.  I've switched to the 15x10 X-Coil on those days and the EMI is manageable.  The stock Minelab 14" coil also suffers from the same EMI, Beatup can probably chime in on his experiences with the stock coil.

2 hours ago, DolanDave said:

I have done several tests with the Steelphase and without to see if Im missing targets, and have been impressed, as it was allowing me to hear those faint threshold breaks, without all the interference.

I swear by the Steelphase. It has helped my detecting immeasurably. 

2 hours ago, jasong said:

The SP01 is compressing/limiting/expanding the audio. I'm not sure which one exactly since I don't own one.

I would suggest you give an SP01 a try. I honestly think you will be pleased.

53 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

tend to turn off the filtering though.

How do you do that? Interested...

4 hours ago, Condor said:

Re: EMI with the X-Coil and GPZ7000

Here in Sunny Yuma we have Marine Corps Air Station with training flights every morning.  Nearby we have Yuma Proving Grounds and they have the High Altitude Low Opening parachute training.  They use a C130 plane to haul the paratroopers.  To get to 30,000 ft for the drop they have to circle within their airspace climbing all the while.  When they are up and circling the EMI is awful.  The 17" X-Coil is nearly unusable when that C130 is climbing.  I've switched to the 15x10 X-Coil on those days and the EMI is manageable.  The stock Minelab 14" coil also suffers from the same EMI, Beatup can probably chime in on his experiences with the stock coil.

I think something similar happens here too with all the air traffic. Jets flying in to Vegas all the time and low since they are on landing approach, tons of helicopters doing Grand Canyon tours, planes flying low for tours. Then Nellis Air Force Base nearby. I don't know if the jets make noise like the big old C130 engines but those military choppers I can hear on my detector.

And of course Area 51 north of Vegas, but I can't talk about that and you never saw this post and aliens making noisy devices just to slow my detecting down definitely don't exist. 😄

I actually found a string of broken circuit boards and antenna components this year all in a long 2 or 3 mile line like a meteorite strewn field. From the 60's. Near as I can tell it's some sort of missile telemetry system, or from an experimental jet or something which they self destructed in the air? No idea. Found 3 weather balloon sensor thingamajigs too but those are just interesting and not really noisy or odd.

3 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

I would suggest you give an SP01 a try. I honestly think you will be pleased.

I'd try one out if they want to send me one. 🙂

But, I'm hesitant to buy one because it seems to me the SP01 filter is doing something similar to Smoothing in that it's pulling out some information from the audio stream just like Smoothing is. If so, then I might as well just use Low Smoothing for free.

The problem I see is that people insist on running no smoothing because it's a filter. But then they compress or filter the same audio stream with the SP01 to solve that problem. And I'm not convinced enough that's a problem I need to pay $300 or whatever to find a solution for since I personally have no problem running Low Smoothing when I need to.

If you disable the filters, the SP01 is now just an audio booster. But I personally have found the WM12 to be more than sufficient for me, or head phones when it's reaaaaally windy and I'm not wanting for more volume.

10 hours ago, Gold Catcher said:

Complete agree. I can't recall a single time where a target that I heard at gain 18 would not be heard at gain 12 or even 10. In particular with HY/normal/ smoothing off. I hardly ever use smoothing.

I'm a Smoothing Off guy as well.  Usually run GAIN around 10 to 12.  Now I don't recommend this in the Spring at Rye Patch, as the soil is to damp still.