Freddy Dodge's Gold Prospecting Show

53 minutes ago, Swegin said:

Since when does Disney own Discovery?

Technicly. Warner Bros owns Discovery although Disney has 9 big production studios at Warner Bros. Any way you look at it the so called "reality shows" are fake. 

For a "Rubbish show" someones watching it, A few headlines about Gold Rush,

DISCOVERY’S #1 RATED AND MOST WATCHED SERIES “GOLD RUSH” RETURNS FOR AN ALL-NEW SEASON

DISCOVERY’S #1-RATED SHOW ‘GOLD RUSH’ RETURNS FOR ITS LANDMARK 10TH SEASON WITH NEW CLAIMS, CREWS AND CHALLENGES

DISCOVERY CHANNEL’S GOLD RUSH SEASON SIX PREMIERE TOPS ALL OF TELEVISION ON FRIDAY IN MEN 25-54

GOLD RUSH ENDS SEASON FIVE WITH BEST SEASON FINALE EVER AND 6.4 MILLION VIEWERS

GOLD RUSH SETS SEASON RECORD WITH 6.1 MILLION VIEWERS ON FRIDAY JANUARY 30

Discovery Channel's GOLD RUSH was the #1 program in ALL OF TELEVISION among M25-54, M18-49 and M18-34 delivery for the fourth consecutive week, no exclusions on Friday, January 23, based upon Nielsen's Live +3

Discovery Channel hit the mother lode on Friday, Oct. 16 as GOLD RUSH returned for an all-new season and ranked as Friday night’s #1 telecast on All of Television among Men 25-54, topping all its Prime Time television competitors, including FOX’s ALCS game #1 (by +9%), ABC’s Shark Tank and CBS’ Blue Bloods, among others in L+3.  GOLD RUSH also beat FOX’s ALCS game #1 in Adults 25-54 (by +7%). GOLD RUSH on cable was #1 across Adults/Men/Women 25-54/18-49, Adults and Men 18-34 and Total Viewers P2+, while Discovery was the #1 cable network for the night among Adults, Men, Women and Total Viewers P2+.

It's just some entertainment, it doesn't have to be 100% real and showing it how it is.  It has to be a show that has viewers that want to watch it, and for that it's been an extraordinary success.  That's why there are so many seasons and spin offs.

• Like 3

Early on, I think the first season of Freddy's show, he told one of the folks he helped to fill a gold vile and that would be his pay. All of the material used to up-grade equipment is payed for by the folks he is helping. The best gold show on TV because of the help he provides. Gold Rush is also good. I know they are not all 100% real but much better than many other shows on TV. 

• Like 2

Wow, this sure went sideways fast. I will say I loved reading GhostMiners story. Did I believe evey tale? No I did not. But most stories, be it fact or fiction need alittle embeleshing to make them more exciting.

I know Juan, and that man loves helping people,Freddy as well.

Allthe work they do cannot be crammed into a 1 hr show, and if they did, it would be a boring show just watching them work for 5 days. I have met Steve, and talked to him many times at our local prospecting club meetings. Steve is a stand up guy also. Myself, I fully understood that Steve did not detect that entire tailings pile in the alloted time. But he did his best with his time on what he could. 

I feel most people know this, and myself, I watch it anyways fully understanding there has to be entertainment sprinkled in to keep people interested. I would not slam GhostMiner for his writtings. I wont slam any of the Gold Rush shows. And I will not Slam Freddy and Juan for the great things they do for others.

As for Steve, he is a very knowledgable guy, and from what I have seen has always been straight up, honest and fair.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Watched the most recient Mine Rescue show and saw Steve's apperance. That coil looked huge, thought it was the largest coil not the second size. Nice to see you Steve in a setting like Mine Rescue. 

• Like 3

A few years back I had a lady producer for one of these so called reality gold shows approach me about being involved. I told her that I was a prospector and had given up small scale mining for a number of reasons. Red tape, sabotage, and 'moonlighters' being just part of the negatives. I told her that they could follow me around for weeks or even months without anything of consequence being unearthed because I spent my time in the field attempting to prove up mainly new ground where little or nothing had been found previously. If the country was of geological interest regardless of proof of being auriferous it was worth a look. I was not interested in fossicking or using machinery but did occasionally turn up some nice stuff.

She told me that they were 'flexible' and that it is entertainment. In other words they could fake it and do an enactment of my finds, and they would pay me for my time. I told her, "sorry, but not interested". I could just see my friends and real prospectors laughing themselves silly at such obvious fraud.

Since then I have seen a few episodes of this nonsense, although I do not follow or subscribe. Some of the participants are known to me and to be honest it is no shock to see them making fools of themselves, although the gullible just soak up this crap, and can't seem to get enough of it.

Was it P T Barnham who said "You will never go broke by underestimating the taste of the public", or something along those lines? The production companies that make this fiction know to "never give a sucker an even break" and reap the rewards. You only have to see how popular the most ridiculous 'action' movies are these days to know that the public thrive on fantasy.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Reg Wilson said:

A few years back I had a lady producer for one of these so called reality gold shows approach me about being involved. I told her that I was a prospector and had given up small scale mining for a number of reasons. Red tape, sabotage, and 'moonlighters' being just part of the negatives. I told her that they could follow me around for weeks or even months without anything of consequence being unearthed because I spent my time in the field attempting to prove up mainly new ground where little or nothing had been found previously. If the country was of geological interest regardless of proof of being auriferous it was worth a look. I was not interested in fossicking or using machinery but did occasionally turn up some nice stuff.

She told me that they were 'flexible' and that it is entertainment. In other words they could fake it and do an enactment of my finds, and they would pay me for my time. I told her, "sorry, but not interested". I could just see my friends and real prospectors laughing themselves silly at such obvious fraud.

Since then I have seen a few episodes of this nonsense, although I do not follow or subscribe. Some of the participants are known to me and to be honest it is no shock to see them making fools of themselves, although the gullible just soak up this crap, and can't seem to get enough of it.

Was it P T Barnham who said "You will never go broke by underestimating the taste of the public", or something along those lines? The production companies that make this fiction know to "never give a sucker an even break" and reap the rewards. You only have to see how popular the most ridiculous 'action' movies are these days to know that the public thrive on fantasy.

Be careful with that kind of talk here Reg.

• Like 1