Quest For Chain Morphs Into A Butterfly

I went out tonight to a local football field with the exclusive goal of digging a gold chain. Before going out, I looked on this forum to see what numbers I should be looking for. I came across this (thanks 😊) 

and used the +4-5 range as my target numbers. I know gold chains can come in other numbers, but I had about an hour to detect. While all the numbers in that range turned out to be aluminum, I ran across a solid 9 and had to dig. While it is not a chain, it's the next best thing. I scanned around the pendant, but all the +1-4 targets were foil and aluminum. I always use Park 1, but tonight for kicks, I used Park 2. Not sure it made the difference, but I have been over that area with Park 1 in the past.

Park 2, 7 recovery, 17 sensitivity, all metal, 15" coil

IMG_20210926_190640.jpg

IMG_20210926_190650.jpg

IMG_20210926_190700.jpg

IMG_20210926_195855.jpg

IMG_20210926_195904.jpg

IMG_20210926_200050.jpg

IMG_20210926_200854.jpg

2 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

Maybe we could all chime in with numbers and pics of gold chains we have found without attached pendants. I know I am, like most of you, looking for numbers for the bigger gold link chains. There have to be some left on the field!

Here is a post I made from last year which, for me, was a great year for gold chains. The ones I found with the Nox and 6" coil were all in the 1 - 2 TID range.

Nice little butterfly with some diamonds in it, One of these days your going to find those chains to complete the set.

13 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

Maybe we could all chime in with numbers and pics of gold chains we have found without attached pendants. I know I am, like most of you, looking for numbers for the bigger gold link chains. There have to be some left on the field!

I don't have any pics. But I am 5-6 gold chains [no pendants] with the Equinox so far. 

Range has been  1-8. The thickest one rang, 8.  

I have only found a couple chains here, both were in the foil range and close to iron.

Nice butterfly.

4 hours ago, Againstmywill said:

Thanks for the info! I know orientation and depth of the chain matters, but do you recall if the thick one gave a good, solid 8 or a softer hit? Remember about how deep it was?

The chain at 8 rang solid with hard lock. In fact I was in discrimination mode and never switched to horseshoe to center the target.  

So hard to tell depth at the beach! It came out 1 scoop. Doubt it was over 3". But again, hard to tell depth.  

Well done on finding the pendant in an hour hunt.

I don't hunt the parks much but I've found a couple of chains there.  I found more chains The in the once wet sand using Beach 1.  The ID numbers were similar to the numbers you are talking about ... 1-8.  I use much higher sensitivity at 23 most of the time.  If I am above the blanket line on the beach I use Park 1 and seem to get a better sound but the ID is similar.

This past weekend I went on a planted coin hunt at a beach and the EMI was terrible.  A cable or something was running under the planted area.  I finally calmed my 800 down by using 17 Sensitivity but in Field 2.  This was kind of an unknown use for me but I was really surprised by the SOUND improvement.  I could read the dial and get a number but the truth of the matter for me is that I'm more of a sound detectorist than a digital detectorist.  I have been out on two dry sand hunts since the coin hunt and my hearing and mind are ready for this Field 2 it seems.  I'm finding coins (and a little silver ring) in dry sand that I've previously detected.  The Equinox is really like several detectors with its presettings.

Try Field 2 everyone.

Mitchel

Someone mentioned long ago that field 2 hit the deepest and I found it to be true testing myself at home. Also  the sounds are more modulated or tamed should I say in mineralized ground then the park modes...I’ve used field 2 the most for relic and park hunting because like you the tones are sweet to my ear. I’ve found park 2 to be more sensitive to tiny objects then field 2. I found two small gold rush era buttons a few weekends ago using park 2 in a small area that had been pounded with the Deus and nox in field 2...

Gold chains are another thing. I got a very thin 14k gold chain on a water hunt the other day by luck while I was digging another target. The chain is a little over 3 grams and the Nox will hear it as a 1 in park 2 no problem up to a couple inches... but put the Nox in gold mode and it sings away up to 6 to 8 inches no problem. If I were to get serious about micro jewelry the gold modes would be the ticket it seems. 

Strick