Dropped Confederate? Found A Circle Earthworks In Montana(not Montana) For Sure Earthworks Fort Guarding Railroad Bridge!

Well k said I'd be back in a bit with a story(experience) and success was had! Thicket hunting along a creek were johnny rebel once crossed 20-30k troopers,artillery and such! Over the railroad bridge alone!

No maps exist of troops closer than a mile or three,no written detail exist in stating anything but retreat was made across a railroad bridge! 

Reason I spelled this out I found a fort of some kind, circle-ish 4ft banks up from ground level 15-20ft across with what looks to me like a dirt platform against one side(back side if rebs did it. Doesnt make sense now that I'm thinking about it,maybe union thought rebs were coming back then platform area would be in front. Or then again rebs occupied the area for 3+ years and bridges were protected so platform would work in front across the board reb/union. 

Maybe one of you fellers can identify the bullets!? My caliber,t&t are at the house, they are sude cast(I think that's what its called,line down the sides from making em). I dont know alot about bullets but I feel like they are reb(idc which they are) from looking through that book many hours measuring,wieghing and looking more! Lol 

Pistol bullets is modern!? I didnt think so thought .36 cal colt or sage in field the wierd dirt is tricky/red concrete I worked the brush overtime scrubbing these things! Never encountered such dirty dirt. Wierd flat lead is odd,any ideas? 

Darn spikes loud 91 I couldn't help thinking PLAAAATE, excitement all around and NOPE damn spikes! Never seen any like these though( in earthworks). 

Dsmn good evening,dropped bulliets are most fun to me! Hope to get more time this week for thicket busting! D2 is superior in the bush to the nox,detect-ed,non broken anything nox800 if I may! I'm really starting to like this machine and to be quite honest first day I had to talk myself outta discounting it! Heads up yard test against nox wasn't seeing it, audio response up one,reactivity can go to 1.5-2 and be deep while plenty fast for most sites and understanding it has soft real soft whispers on deep sound when nox is beep beep beep and dig imo compared. At first though I can see people discounting it over such things for sure,btw square tones as yall know remedies this also but I didnt buy this machine for nox imitation so only run pwm! I did chase a handful of signals but not many but still wasted a hour of a 3 hr hunt, thick stuff,roots galor just tough going so any non desirable chasing adds up! I was happy though 2nd hole was one of these exquisite relics! Happy enough to mostly forget the mosquitoes were attempting to pack me off! Damn eat up! Lol

Thanks for comments,input,knowledge in advance! Happy hunting,be safe

16497308906969196000622338812251.jpg

16497308688997939324988333581562.jpg

16497308521052655002568317737367.jpg

16497309162741635316848122535223.jpg

What does Montana (not Montana) mean?

I've dug a few Minie Balls here in NH. I don't know much about them though. Sorry I can't help you there.

Just my odd sarcasm is all (not telling whr I may be bush hunting in the south)! Yeah east coast had many cw soldiers,vets I think yanks had 9 million men could be wrong maybe 7. Many more than rebs, all that I mean is I know people find stuff up north but Montana its probly slim if not slim it's possible unicorn hunting!

I've had the pleasure of digging 50-60 of what I thought were mostly .58 cal minie balls. Turns out if you measure,weight them I have 7,8 different varieties of .54/.58/.69/.71 and pistol examples too. Pretty neat once I realized this (not so long ago) and i think these are possibly. 54 cal but very well could be .58 cal union for all i know atm.

9 minutes ago, Commonwealthdetector said:

Just my odd sarcasm is all

Ah, now I understand your list of gear used.  🙂

1 hour ago, Commonwealthdetector said:

Just my odd sarcasm is all (not telling whr I may be bush hunting in the south)! Yeah east coast had many cw soldiers,vets I think yanks had 9 million men could be wrong maybe 7. Many more than rebs, all that I mean is I know people find stuff up north but Montana its probly slim if not slim it's possible unicorn hunting!

I've had the pleasure of digging 50-60 of what I thought were mostly .58 cal minie balls. Turns out if you measure,weight them I have 7,8 different varieties of .54/.58/.69/.71 and pistol examples too. Pretty neat once I realized this (not so long ago) and i think these are possibly. 54 cal but very well could be .58 cal union for all i know atm.

When I was your age young feller I did most of my bush hunting at the local saloons and dance halls.

Very cool finds! The Minie Balls are most likely Union and the smaller bullet is probably a much more modern brass jacketed .45 Auto round. The spikes are interesting too, given the description of the round fortification protecting the bridge, it was likely a gun emplacement for a small artillery piece. Good Hunting!

1 hour ago, Doc Bach said:

When I was your age young feller I did most of my bush hunting at the local saloons and dance halls.

Trust me I wasted 15 years of life with many years of hunting,chasing good times and downright uncivilized behavoir! Imo wasted,not all regrettable though! Lol wife,kids,several homes,gun enthusiasm,detecting all back seat to work(things need paying for) firvtge last 10+ gotta pile up good choices now! Have fun,be safe,thanks:)

Those are adult years also,teen years same-ish just much more cowboying started riding 5,6 yrs old ended 24yrs old to shitty life choices! No rodeoing. Some team pinning,hard trail riding,broke many(despised dumb animals) just a horse riding lifestyle was a daily thing basically! 

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Very cool finds! The Minie Balls are most likely Union and the smaller bullet is probably a much more modern brass jacketed .45 Auto round. The spikes are interesting too, given the description of the round fortification protecting the bridge, it was likely a gun emplacement for a small artillery piece. Good Hunting!

Yeah I think your correct on small it's no  .45 though its 9mm 115gn! You may very well be correct but the rebs had many 3 ring variations as well(I'm pretty certain) could darn sure be incorrect though! Yeah spikes are pretty cool and I've never seen/dug any while finding cw relics from miss to d.c. on my working away sacrificial adventure time!

Thanks el Capitan ghostlight

40 minutes ago, sodbuster said:

The Captain is correct.  Those are Yankee mini balls.   CS made have two "rings" instead of three.   Still nice finds! 

congrats.👍

They only made two rings? Only used 2 rings? Union,reb I really dont mind which because they're mine forever bahaha! Lol I just didnt realize this only 2 ring thing if true across the board!?