What's Your Coolest Nugget Shape? Mine Is A Kfc Nugget!

Yesterday I went for a bit of a gold hunt with JW, we went to a spot we've done to death but it just keeps on giving.  JW went between using his GPZ with 15" CC and GPX 6000 and once again he won the tally for the day, by a significant amount this time, I blame my sore foot, I've got a broken bone at the moment in my foot so walking and getting down digging was a bit difficult but I survived 🙂 It was quite good we were able to go to a spot that involves only a very short walk.  I can't blame my tools as he found the best of his gold using the same equipment as me so I can only blame myself and my foot seems a good thing to blame 🙂

One of JW's finds was particularly interesting, he found a nugget that we estimate is about a gram in a spot I know for a fact I'd covered that exact same ground with my GPX 4500 and Nugget Finder 14x9 EVO coil, I am 100% confident I covered the exact spot he found the nugget, I've covered in more than once too, it's at the edge of a drop off into a gully and quite a small little area of deep soil in otherwise bedrock covered ground.   When he showed me the spot he found it I knew I'd been there so many times with my GPX and possibly with other coils on it too although at the time of using it in this area I was almost exclusively using the 14x9" EVO, I'm pretty sure I've had the Equinox there too.  He was using the GPZ with 15" CC at the time of the find.  By far the biggest nugget of the day.  He said it was a faint target, but it was deep.   It's always a shock to know you've walked over a nugget and missed it, probably happens to me a fair bit, I don't yet have the skill levels of JW, he tends to mostly always find more nuggets than me when we're using the same equipment.

Anyway, here is my KFC chicken drumstick, my favourite nugget I've ever found.  If the only food available on earth was chicken, I'd be happy. 😄

2119034406_chickengoldzoomed-low_res-scale-4_00x-gigapixel.jpg.47562b52ef6fc1b70a05a49726d0b487.jpg

IMG_20220417_162551.thumb.jpg.8ce01359ecebf0942fad4b50a37ede60.jpg

It wasn't particularly deep, about 10cm I would guess, approximately 4 inches.

IMG_20220417_162558.thumb.jpg.554d67ebd088f2be250d643714be882f.jpg

I dug quite a lot of junk, I was mostly targeting the deep ground hoping to find something we've missed in the past as the more shallow bedrock ground we've done the most, although it paid off for JW as he seemed to mostly target the shallow bedrock ground and found more than me by a lot 🙂

The place is riddled with junk, especially shotgun pellets so it can be a challenge and possibly why we can still keep finding more gold there.

Here is my junk for the day that didn't fall out of my pocket to be found again next time, I lost quite a few pellets 🙂

IMG_20220418_092204.thumb.jpg.f94e06fa82706e0926c42891a16c938f.jpg

I also found some nails, but the weird one is the tiny little nail, I wonder why the miners had such a tiny nail, it was down quite deep, I think it's pretty old.  What on earth would they use such tiny nails for?

IMG_20220418_092021.jpg.46bfcef0e8f4b8724f38fdc8c3f1221f.jpg

It was a nice day out and my first one in a few months as I'd broken a bone in my foot which has kept me at home.

I'd like to see your favourite nuggets that resemble something so feel free to post them on this thread, I do love my Chicken nugget 😛

Nice report and good looking drum stick nugget. Hope your foot gets healed up so you can get out more.

We never can get them all.  I've thought I worked a patch totally clean to only go back another time and pull another or 3.  So many variables from weather, EMI in the air, soil moisture, coil direction and or coil control, coil size, timing on the detector or even just doing a Noise Cancel.  Those Rye Patch patches have been giving for years.

As for interesting nuggets.  I've found a few off shaped ones and YES some of them are crazy interesting to the mind.

You know you are getting really good at nugget hunting and starting to be as good as the Master JW, when he invites you out, knowing you have a broken bone in your foot....😏  Hopefully it heels well and soon.

My giraffe head nugget from Alaska is pretty interesting.

Ganes7.thumb.JPG.5e0e7b1436735dcfdffa9b330476df35.JPG

I found a tiny little bit of gold in the KImberley back in 1986 that looks exactly like a man sitting down, drinking from  a cup. He even is wearing a jacket with a hood. Bit hard to see (crappy phone camera) but it amazed me just how exact and accurate the 'nugget' looked. I had to keep it....

IMG_20220418_095024.jpg

So , what did you learn from "Yoda" this time out ?  

Some day I'm gonna find a piece of gold and I won't care what it looks like nope nope !

THAT 🧐 looks like a finish nail, they were finished dropping nails when they dropped that one ?

Chicken is my breakfast every day , now I want it for a late snack.....all out , guess it's bacon then.... and  now I want a nuggie that looks like bacon..... 

Here is JW's gold for the day

As I said he did a fair bit better than me this time.

1.jpg.c0ea356b92471975d82945c1325db6ea.jpg

His total.

2.jpg.138da8e8e3165f79dfae8ace36df3312.jpg

This is the big one I was talking about that I missed with my GPX 4500...

3.jpg.8c536772e748e27c67519fa306f92a14.jpg

and his total split by detector, the left hand side the GPZ and the right hand side the GPX 6000.

We tested his two smallest nuggets on my GPZ and it gave a good 10cm/4"  at least on the nuggets easily so it wasn't my detector that was stopping me finding them, it was me, or my foot 🙂

Geoff, funny you should say that, JW commented my foot would keep my speed under control 🙂

I guess the best way to describe his finds is him doing it himself, he sent me an email today with the photos and this was what he told me about his finds.

I ended up with 9 bits. Three for the Zed & 15" CC & 6 for the 6000. All 6 for the 6k came from that area where I was when you came over to show me the piece you got. I know I had got gold from there in my earlier days but not with the zed & its bigger coil. I had not had the zed & any x coils on that spot. I don't know why really. I guess I thought it as being very shallow bed rocky type ground & there was nothing left. The bits I got with the 6000 were down a bit as the gravels on the bedrock were deeper than I remembered which surprised me as from the surface it didn't look that way going by other similar looking ground there. Goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover. I then went over it all very carefully & slowly & got rewarded.

So yea, his 9 bits make my one chicken drum stick look pretty bad, but It was just nice to get out there looking for gold again after hanging around home for weeks on end with my broken foot.

51 minutes ago, phrunt said:

So yea, his 9 bits make my one chicken drum stick look pretty bad, but It was just nice to get out there looking for gold again after hanging around home for weeks on end with my broken foot.

Hope ya heal up quickly and you're back on the yella soon mate 👍

Yeah Simon,

Speedy healing!🍗👍👍