XP Deus II Observation In Mineralized Ground

Glenn in CO

Having the XP Deus II for few weeks and becoming familiar with the different settings and programs, I decided to test the Deus II depth capabilities in a nearby local park. Our soil here in Colorado is high in mineralization and VLF detectors struggle in achieving any depth on coin size targets beyond five inches. To help aid in locating a deep coin, I decided to use my White's TDI. With the White's TDI I can set up the detector to only hear high conductor targets and then cherry pick targets by listening for a deep soft audio response and ignore the shallow surface audio response.

20220419_135110.thumb.jpg.8c151939d36671832c601553637a250b.jpg

When I located a potential target I turned off the White's TDI and tried the different stock programs of the XP Deus II to see which program would worked the best. Only two stock programs in the Deus II could I get any good response. The relic and goldfield programs gave a strong audio response, but gave no consistent VDI on the target. All other programs I could not get any type of good audio and/or visual response. The ground conditions were extremely dry and I don't know if that had any affect on the XP Deus II.

20220419_135427.thumb.jpg.48f7bc2a94771e9b51dced61e251283e.jpg

The coin was a wheatie and was at a depth just beyond six inches.

20220419_135125.thumb.jpg.4d36594c84c7d1fd81170a9eb19ab610.jpg20220419_135706.thumb.jpg.71bd96049e8f69a64131eeabe26425fc.jpg

I found three other wheaties and had the same results. After locating and retrieving each target I put the coin at the bottom of the hole, replace the dirt and plug, then I tried the stock programs again and I could then get a good audio and TDI. I did change some settings such as sensitivity, reactivity, etc. and didn't seem to make any difference on the coins that were found.

Any suggestions, advice or thoughts, especially why I could get good target responses after reburying the coins?

7 minutes ago, Glenn in CO said:

Any suggestions, advice or thoughts, especially why I could get good target responses after reburying the coins?

No idea on the buried response? 

I applaud you for doing wild testing with two detectors. It is the only way to decide which machine is better!  

Next time try with program 2, setting pitch tone and with disc  1.5..try also to set ground stabilizer to 1.

If your mineralization is Iron based, disturbing the soil weakens the localized oxidation halo that can mask the target's signal. That is my speculation anyway. I do know that mineralized soil is tricksey for sure!

10 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

2 hours ago, JCR said:

If your mineralization is Iron based, disturbing the soil weakens the localized oxidation halo that can mask the target's signal. That is my speculation anyway.

This would be a great question for Tom Dankowski.  Bet he would have an answer. 

Halo effect really should help in detecting. That’s why long buried targets are more simple to detect compared to freshly buried ones..

Unless the halo is based on Iron and connects the local ground matrix like a fog.

Yes, that’s right