Lamenting What Manticore's Hype Machine Means To The Hobby

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Eric, presuming ML fixed that leak issue with M-core, do you see that detector ultimately enabling you to dump the disappointing D2 as your dive machine and perhaps also relegating the Nox to backup duty?  In other words, being the true do-it-all machine for your detecting needs? 

My extremely disappointing Deus II has already been dumped in favour of the PulseDive as my scuba detector.. Because of it's range of coils (including the Coiltek coils) the Equinox won't just be a backup to the Manticore, instead it'll nicely complement what I've already got to cover all my detecting needs.. For me, that's well worth waiting for.. 

I've tried raising the funds to buy a Manticore by selling the Deus II.. Only one punter has shown any interest so far but the wobbly shaft put him off.. It also didn't help that the control box came off while he was testing it.. As the headphones are still out of action he thought that using the bone-phones as a substitute was a joke.. Although he was polite about my sales attempt, the look on his face said that he felt he was being conned.. I had to agree with him that the Equinox 800 at less than half the price is just as good (if not better) than the Deus II for beach detecting..  

I've mixed feelings on the Manticore release.  The fact I'm buying one, not withstanding.

The lack of real info from Minelab, combined with the embargo on early independent first hand reports.  Result is there just isn't a whole lot of meat and potatoes on this beast yet.   

Which, means to me, really, compared to the D2 and Legend "launches", this one has been actually very quiet (so far).  The "hype machine" isn't really generating much buzz, compared to the last two blitzes, I think?

I lament the lack of solid info from Minelab for something I've already ordered.

I rejoice the lack of youtube testers (those early "independent" first hand reports) krap-posting everywhere and turning boards into non-stop Jerry Springer purse fights.

I wish Minelab would be more forthcoming with hard documentation of features operation.  I'm relieved Minelab didn't send out early test units to people who shouldn't really be entrusted with such.

- DAA

1 hour ago, Erik Oostra said:

My extremely disappointing Deus II has already been dumped in favour of the PulseDive as my scuba detector..

That warms my heart.  I share the sentiment.  The fewer D2's being used out there, the better (especially on the beach) as far as I'm concerned.  :cool:

Down with D2, up with "The Beast"!  :laugh:

Seriously, though, hope M-core fits the bill.  I am looking to see what you (beach) and Simon (deep silver, and nuggets) have to say about its performance to factor into my ultimate buy decision.

18 hours ago, phrunt said:

I'm Minelabs #1 fan, I'm also their #1 critic.  🙂 

I love Minelab detectors, absolutely, but only because there is no other choice for me, they make what I need. 

Exactly the same for me if I just replace the "Minelab" word by "XP" ...  🙂

It looks like that most of the negative D2 feedbacks come from beach hunters . And I am not a beach hunter but a coin/relic hunter  .. And for coin relic hunting it is the best detector I have ever used during 24 years detecting ... This for my European conditions of course ..

Concerning the Mcore , as it will be released for Christmas I dont expect serious/reliable reports/field tests before Spring 2023 .. Perhaps my seller will lend me one for testing btw 🙂 ..

I'll be saving my Rupees and clad for it, but I'm really happy with my Equinox and Deus 2. I tried beep dig a long time ago, I'm glad I returned to the hobby at this time.

Now that I've got more experience it will be more fun for me to mess around with older tech, the fields are opening up and I haven't tried the D2 in a few of them. I have my Ace 400 and now a Vaquero to play with as well. I had no issues with the Deus 2 at the beach, it did as well as the Equinox with the added underwater benefit. I still feel I have a lot to learn with the D2!

Honestly I don't think anything short of a Pulse Induction machine will find more in some of the places I have permission, and that's a return to beep dig for the most part. I wish the Axiom was less expensive. Seems light enough for me to consider.

As for the hype, while I apologize for starting the "misnomer" campaign, I hope ML gets the point. We're not talking kiddie toys here. I trust their next machine will have a more refined approach.

13 hours ago, palzynski said:

most of the negative D2 feedbacks come from beach hunters

I have found the opposite most I have spoken to and myself included find the D2 a very deep sensitive machine on the beach but just can’t make it rock & roll on pasture. 

13 hours ago, palzynski said:

It looks like that most of the negative D2 feedbacks come from beach hunters . And I am not a beach hunter but a coin/relic hunter  .. And for coin relic hunting it is the best detector I have ever used during 24 years detecting 

Seems I'm just the opposite of most. I prefer the D2 beach hunting wet sand, not in the water, and the Equinox in the fields. Just this last week I went to San Diego, CA on a beach with lots of black sand. D2 wearing the 9" coil was inches deeper than the Equinox and it's 11" coil. Compared quite a few deep targets with my Sister-In-Law who was using the Equinox and on targets I was getting a deep consistent signal the Equinox could not hear at all.

I am looking forward to seeing what the Manticore will do relic hunting, but I still think I would just prefer to skip the incremental depth gains it's going to give and just go straight to a PI in most cases. 

9 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I had no issues with the Deus 2 at the beach, it did as well as the Equinox with the added underwater benefit. I still feel I have a lot to learn with the D2!

IMO, The 800 and the D2 are pretty equal with the exception of the D2's  tremendous weight advantage and better pod construction. The advantage that XP has is parts availability. The Manticore better have something really special over the 800 up its sleeve. One being better constructed, Two - Resolving its bias towards iron. Three - better coil selection, Four - Better stability in multi, in EMI, Five - Allowing for a more finite disc. and tone set up.  And last but not least!! Updating to current Bluetooth tech. so we can get aftermarket headphones.(which causes the machine to be unstable). I could go on but Why. My 800 will always have a place in my pack of detectors, and I find the lower weight and adjustability and single freq's awesome.  I'm pretty sure ML will continue to give a cold shoulder to it's all of it's customers concerns so my expectations are low.  This thing better be something SPECIAL or a lot of fans might jump ship to companies that do. Hopefully the masses do not fall for a rebranded 800 with a few structural design features fixed. I hope all the preorder people are not disappointed, You guy's even here a word on coil selection? Nothing like pissing money away for an average upgrade when your current machine will perform just as well with a little understanding and patience. IMO I have not seen a game changer in a long time. I guess you know by now that it's a wait and see for me. Good luck Minelab hope you were listening well!!!!