Minelab Sues Nokta

PSPR

There is no question that the lawsuit concerns the Legend's use of SMF and, in particular, how MF signals are demodulated. I downloaded the complaint from PACER and it's very explicit. Yes, it's possible to rip the code from an Equinox and then use that code, but it would be a seriously tall order and probably harder than just writing your own code. Also, that would be a copyright violation and the complaint makes no mention of it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Patents are different than  copyrights..

Apparently a polite and professional cease and desist notice did not put an abrupt end to the saga., 

That may be why we see 1 distributer named, yet another distributer is not mentioned.

Its going to be a long 6 months until we see the final outcome.

Its a costly shame, with no real winner.

On 12/22/2022 at 8:04 AM, CoinShooter1 said:

Its a costly shame, with no real winner.

Except business lawyers ... 🙂

Yes, patents & copyrights are different but if NM violated copyright (by ripping and directly using ML code) then it certainly would have been mentioned in the complaint.

The reason that a distributor is named at all is because this is a US patent; it only applies to an infringing product made in the US (which the Legend is not) or sold in the US (which it is). Because it's sold in the US, Minelab needs to state an infringing seller in their complaint, and they only need one.

Assuming that this patent was not granted anywhere other than the US, Nokta could continue manufacturing the Legend and selling it anywhere except the US and that would not violate the patent.

PRESS RELEASE.pdf

Dear Valued Members,

Please see attached the Press Release from Nokta. 

PRESS RELEASE

December 26, 2022

Nokta Detection Technologies is issuing the following statement in response to the patent infringement lawsuit filed by Minelab USA, on November 17, 2022:

Nokta has invested considerable resources in research and development of the Legend, which performs on par with even the most expensive detectors on the market. Over the past year, the Legend's excellent performance has been recognized by consumers and ultimately led to its successful launch.

Minelab recently filed a lawsuit alleging infringement of a patent directed to decades old technology. While Nokta values and respects intellectual property rights of other members of the metal detector community, Nokta strongly believes Minelab's claims against the Legend to be baseless. Minelab's lawsuit appears to represent an attempt to unjustly strong-arm a competitor rather than to protect intellectual property. It is unfortunate, but unsurprising based on Minelab's recent activity in the global metal detector community, that Minelab has chosen to make such allegations to counter Nokta's recent accomplishments and worldwide growth, instead of competing on price and performance. Nokta strongly believes America’s free enterprise system of competition has provided a healthy performance and value-based marketplace.

So, be assured that Nokta is determined to vigorously defend against all allegations of patent infringement without any concern of interruption in our business. Nokta will continue to offer high-end, quality products at the best prices. Nokta’s investments in research and development will continue with plans to expand its engineering team significantly while moving this coming year to a new headquarters and technically advanced manufacturing plant.

This lawsuit has only fueled our passion and desire to invest more so we can offer more in return to our customers and the metal detector industry at large. As Nokta, we will fight this dispute not only for our company, but for the sake of all users in the metal detecting industry to provide our past, current, and future customers a winning focus on best performance with a value-based variety of alternatives to over-priced detectors and sustain healthy competition in the metal detector marketplace.

3 minutes ago, Nokta Detectors said:

Thanks, makes me want to go out and buy a Nokta today to support you!

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Thanks, makes me want to go out and buy a Nokta today to support you!

It makes me want to sell more to support them.

My main VLFs next year will be the Legend, Gold Kruzer, and Gold Finder 2000!

This is just an accusation, nothing more. It has not gone to trial, and anybody assuming the accusations are true or not is not being honest or fair. Let the legal process proceed, and when it is settled, then maybe people can start having opinions that matter about who did what.

What I do not appreciate is content from other forums being posted here (it's been deleted) and fights from other forums coming here along with those posts. This forum does not support anything but posters who are calm, rational, and non-partisan. My interest in conflict is at an all time low, and anyone or anything who disturbs the peace here is messing with my personal peace. I don't care really, I just am telling people I will not put up with arguments, conflict, or anything other than polite, adult behavior. It will be deleted and people banned until it goes away, simple solutions from my point of view. I don't want to sort out who is right or who is wrong - I just want it to go away. If anyone ever tries the "they started it first argument" with me be aware I don't pick sides. I'll just delete or ban both participants if need be and move on. Using somebody else's bad behavior to excuse bad behavior does not wash with me. It's a child's argument.

Thread locked.

• The topic was locked