Nice Barber Quarter To Round Out The Days Finds (mixed Bag Of Mint Marks Today)

I broke my S mint streak and added a D mint barber silver.  1908 D.

The place I've been hunting has seen many, many detectors over the years.  It has seen plenty of use from the early 1900's, and had history into the second half of the 1800s.  Simply seems that with new tech and enough patience, there are always a few more goodies to find.  I've hit this place at least a dozen times in the last 10 years, and I've rarely found a wheat penny.  Finally landed a war nickel last year.   Mind you, I do reasonably well with my equipment in other locations, so I had effectively given up on this one as too few targets to bother with.

When i started posting a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled into a 1909 barber dime...and a buff nickel and several wheats.  This reenergized me to give it a go again in part of the property that  i hadn't hit much in years past.  It's bare of underbrush, so it's easy enough to hit.  Since, I've totaled 4 dimes, 4 buffs, 1 almost indiscernible V just today, 24 wheats (most 1909-1929), and 6 IHCs.  Today I added the barber quarter.  I've must say that I need to give some of the credit to the Deus.  If I'd hit this part of the ground thoroughly with my V3i, I'd have found some of this haul, but I don't think I'd have found all of it.  

The D1 has been doing a nice job of pulling 8" deep nickels and pennies...which is close to the limit of what i've done with the V3i historically in our dirt (9").  And it's so nice that it is so light.  Even the 11" coil I used today was easy enough to swing for 8 hours.  

Now, I think I'll let it sit for a bit and give both the ground an myself a break before i try it again.  The targets a getting much harder to find...but they are still there.  Hit the 1918s merc 2 days ago at 8+".  Just a faint peep.  Have to be more there.  Today the big surprise was the Barber quarter at 4". While there was iron on one side and a tree on the other, the 11" coil fit easily in between and the signal was no mystery....but I didn't believe it.  Could possibly be a shallow silver quarter left.  I just took a quick shover scoop expecting a bottle cap or clad quarter, and out popped one of my favorite coin designs. How on earth did this survive the multitude of detectorists?  Nothing to really hide it or protect it.  Just dumb luck I suppose. 

Also added  a sterling piece today that may have been part of a fountain pen?  It had material inside the cylinder, but i couldn't ID it.  Seems to be wood or tightly wrapped paper with some sort of core....but this piece is likely 100+ years old.  

Get out and hit that permission that went quiet!  We never get it all!  V below appeared to be an 1892 before a light clean up.  

20230311_160229.thumb.jpg.ab846e164fec544f6d40ba165540cec7.jpg

20230309_121312.thumb.jpg.142b6c237f4207fe07296da2fed1f3e9.jpg

Looks like your going to beat F350 on the finds soon.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay out of my area so I can find a few things.

Good going Zincoln 👍

That sterling collar you dug is from a tobacco pipe, probably an English one whose name escapes me at the moment. Great run you're on!

Could be a Peterson, Dunhill, many makers used silver as an accent piece and and possibly a heat sink.

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Looks like your going to beat F350 on the finds soon.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay out of my area so I can find a few things.

Thank you VL, and i think you are safe😉 Never detected further East than Utah!

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Good going Zincoln 👍

That sterling collar you dug is from a tobacco pipe, probably an English one whose name escapes me at the moment. Great run you're on!

Could be a Peterson, Dunhill, many makers used silver as an accent piece and and possibly a heat sink.

Thank you for the ID, F350.  Much appreciated. I had also thought mirror or comb, but pipe didn't ring a bell.  Makes perfect sense now.   

• 2 weeks later...

Zincoln, Congratulations on your success that hunted site.    I knew you would be one to put in the time and effort to learn the Deus, and it looks like it is a good fit or your time and patience level.  Keep up the efforts, and I hope the weather starts improving for you.

Monte