Metal Detecting The Grass Strip Between The Sidewalk And The Streets In Front Of Houses?

I'm speaking of Reno in particular. I don't want to go in anybody's front yards, but it seems like there's always a grass strip between the sidewalk and the street. I think this is probably maintain land within the city? All of the old neighborhoods have them. Are they fair game or will I get in trouble?

• Like 1

Each city has its own ordinances.  Check with the city before you dig.

• Like 1

More than likely you can get away with it in some cities. 30 years ago it wasn't such an issue if you didn't bring a backhoe or smell weird. I don't know about Reno specifically but larger towns probably aren't going to like it much.

That being said the city doesn't own the land. The city has an easement for public passage and probably some utilities too. The land itself, and all the goodies buried in it belong to the landowner. So the city can't give you permission to take what you dig and the landowner probably doesn't want to risk having the city complain about their easement being dug up.

It's a tricky situation wherever you go but I imagine in the end it's going to be more about local attitudes than what's legal or who owns what.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Clay Diggins said:

More than likely you can get away with it in some cities. 30 years ago it wasn't such an issue if you didn't bring a backhoe or smell weird. I don't know about Reno specifically but larger towns probably aren't going to like it much.

That being said the city doesn't own the land. The city has an easement for public passage and probably some utilities too. The land itself, and all the goodies buried in it belong to the landowner. So the city can't give you permission to take what you dig and the landowner probably doesn't want to risk having the city complain about their easement being dug up.

It's a tricky situation wherever you go but I imagine in the end it's going to be more about local attitudes than what's legal or who owns what.

The house where I grew up was recently being renovated by the new owners and they used a backhoe on the side strip along the sidewalk and punched into a previously forgotten tunnel about 8 feet wide and high running along the street for half a block. Both ends were sealed with bricks. Not sure what if anything was found in it (they didn’t tell) but even the city didn’t know about it.  So I’d say- yes, do detect the strips with a backhoe!🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, GotAU? said:

The house where I grew up was recently being renovated by the new owners and they used a backhoe on the side strip along the sidewalk and punched into a previously forgotten tunnel about 8 feet wide and high running along the street for half a block. Both ends were sealed with bricks. Not sure what if anything was found in it (they didn’t tell) but even the city didn’t know about it.  So I’d say- yes, do detect the strips with a backhoe!🤣

Prohibition! your house was previously inhabited by bootleggers 🙂

• Haha 2

I suppose check with the city, but I’d also ask the house owner if they’d mind.  I imagine you might get a lot of angry house owners otherwise, telling you to swing your thing somewhere else.  They might not be legally right but when has that stopped a good confrontation!

You definitely answered one thing though - the length of a thread title can apparently be hella long 😉

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

Prohibition! your house was previously inhabited by bootleggers 🙂

You may be right- It was built over 100 years ago and even had a wine cellar with old hand made wine bottle racks in the basement! Metal detecting may be very productive in that neighborhood.

One suggestion Robert, wear a safety vest, slacks and hard hat- most people won’t bother you then.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Metal detected the strip for years. usually worked it old neighbor hoods. Some where very productive, but hard to dig because of the old tree roots. Was never harassed or questioned. That was in the old areas of the cities surrounding LA. Also in Paso Robles and Monterey,

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Metal Detecting The Grass Strip Between The Sidewalk And The Streets In Front Of Houses?

I’ve done it where cars park in a business area and that has paid off but not in front of a home. That’s unless you get permission.

Chuck 

• Like 1