Big News From Coiltek For Nox And Xterra Pro Users

GR Guy

REM sleep for me......

• Like 3

Excitement from me! Shame the same level of support isn't going into the Manticore.  

I hope they make it lighter, there is no way the 15" Coiltek Nox coil needs to be as heavy as it is.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

REM sleep for me......

I dreaming that Coiltek goes in the opposite direction and makes a decent small elliptical for Manticore slightly larger than the M8 (something like their Nox 5×10 which is a great general purpose coil for polluted, highly mineralized relic and coin sites) 

18 hours ago, phrunt said:

Excitement from me! Shame the same level of support isn't going into the Manticore.  

I hope they make it lighter, there is no way the 15" Coiltek Nox coil needs to be as heavy as it is.

The ML Equinox 15" elliptical is plenty deep and has a great footprint area to weight ratio.  At some point you hit a depth wall with VLF machines and large, round coil sizes where the depth performance plateau's due to ground feedback effects, you lose even small coin sensitivity at moderate depths, and all you get is coverage at a huge weight penalty.  So that 30% depth gain claim seems dubious unless you're talking a PI machine.  Coiltek's gotta rethink their PI mentality that bigger is better for round VLF coils.  Their mid-size Nox elliptical would be a great general purpose coil if they didn't narrow cast it solely for water hunting by intentionally adding weight to it.

• Like 4

It is quite possible the 15x12" maxed out depth on the Nox 800, I know a guy that bought the 15" round and felt it no better than the 15x12" just heavier so he sold it off, wasn't an easy coil for him to sell either and took a big loss on it, I didn't buy it from him for this reason, he'd already told me it was no deeper than his 15x12" which was much lighter.

If the 18" is no deeper than the 15x12" in actual field use then it will be another big flop like I guess the 15" round is.

• Like 2

Big coils are rare on VLF detectors for a reason. The bigger they are the more ground they see, and the amount of ground seen goes up far faster than the amount of target seen. In the case of coin size targets you could very well get less depth with an 18" coil than a 11" coil. I'd think this would only be useful for very large targets, like fist size or larger, and even then the milder the ground the better. It's what we old timers used to call a cache hunting coil.

• Like 9

Here's Coiltek's page for this:

https://coiltek.com.au/product/18-nox/

1.05 kg (= 2.3 lb).  Hmmm.  Almost half the weight of the detector with this coil mounted is the coil, hanging about a meter away from the handle.  That's a lot of torque for what is typically a fairly light, fairly well-balanced detector with stock 11" coil.

• Like 1

I'm one who will welcome a bigger coil for the Nox. Where coverage is key, like beaches and fields, the bigger the better for me. That being said, yes, it's going to be site dependent, probably more sensitive to EMI and ground feedback, and maybe less sensitive to smaller targets. These remain to be seen in actual use. I have both the Minelab 12 X 15" coil and the Coiltek 15" round. Both have their uses. I prefer the 12 X 15 for most uses, but, for when I need max depth, the 15" goes on. I found in most mild ground, I get another 1-2 inches for coin/ring size objects. Even more for larger items. I would assume that Coiltek has done some research, both demand and performance, or they wouldn't have tooled up to make this coil. I welcome any and all coil choices they can come up with. I like having a full tool box.

• Like 6