Gold Hard To Hear

hi there thanks for letting me join this forum i live in scotland  and have detected gold near where i live for a few years i have a few minelabs i have got over the years 2 sd 2200d a gpx 4000 5000 and a gpz 7000 out of them all i have found more with the 4000, gold from 0.5 gram to 3 grams i cannot get the 7000 to run quiet like the gpx series the ground is mostly wet glacial till with a lot of iron deposits in it  i went over a patch with the 7000 in high yeild no result went over same patch with 4000 and got 2 bits out of it with coiltek joey coil does the 7000 need dry ground to work properly have ground balanced it with the ferite ring . i even got a 2 grammer with the 2200 are all 7000 like this in wet ground conditions or am i missing something on set up i know i am walking over gold with it have had this detector for 6 years done a lot of hours on it with different settings 

Is it loud when sitting still or only loud when you are swinging?

Does it get quieter when the ground is dryer, over the same patch of ground? 

Regarding the 7000; try the difficult setting, high yield, and sensitivity as high as it will go while maintaining a smooth threshold. Try auto tune a couple of times one right after another. Toss the ferrite ring with your eyes closed and see if you can find it next spring. Going slow is the fastest way to find gold.

The 4000 with a Joey coil is a highly classified secret weapon so don't tell to many about your successes with it.

If you reply to Jasong he will have some good suggestions.

Would you treat us to some photos of your detecting grounds?

43 minutes ago, klunker said:

Toss the ferrite ring with your eyes closed and see if you can find it next spring.

Oh, my!  🙃

Have you found any bits with the 7000?  (I reread your post and you said you found the most with a 4000 so I guess you have found gold with the 7.)

Let me ask if there is a pattern, shape or size that it seems to find ... or a depth?

It's rare, but a few 7000s have some sort of a glitch that keeps one from getting quiet settings. I struggled with mine, had a couple pros work with it, and eventually sent it back to Minelab. The replacement is a world quieter. Before the fix I did find gold, but it was really hard to hear.

That said, wet mineralized ground is tough and the above advice on settings should help.

Mike

the 7000 still has unstable threshold when still i think it is bad emi but the 5000 and 4000 dont have it there is a nato early warning station up there it could be that dont know i have found gold with it but the 7000 was a lot of money when new 8500 pounds and i dont think its a patch on the gpx series detectors i will post pictures where i go next time i am at leadhills there were some big nuggets found there in the past biggest 37 oz that was my reason for getting a 7000 for the depth it was supposed to go . it might run better with a new nugget finder coil  regarding settings it will run fairly quiet with very low sen  4 max