Another Reason Why New Detector Models Act The Way They Do

I think there has to be some kind of standard test given by the detector manufacturer for us to test our detectors and coils. I have had enough experiences myself with bad coils on my CTX and EQ800, poor depth on various surf pi’s, not as good depth on my AQ. Such tests must eliminate variables like mineralization as we can’t duplicate them. If a guy’s AQ has better depth than mine in air (and we are comparing side by side) I’d say there is a valid difference and it likely affects real world performance. I sent mine into Fisher and they said it detects a nickel in 16”. Well…. How do I duplicate this as I’m seeing/hearing 2” less.  
There are some air test videos of surf pi’s/DF’s where they must put a gold ring 2-3” from the coil to hear it. Oh jeez, your detector is out of calibration and you are missing targets. 

• Like 2

I watched some videos from different channels and did some air tests with my Manticore. Buried some coins in the back yard and found out Canadian $1 & $2 coins (as well as quarters) behave differently in the dirt. With my limited practical experience with this machine I can predict it's junk that I'm going to dig fairly accurately, but I have to dig it to make sure. I had watched some of TNSS videos because he had been recommended by some other You-tubers. I wouldn't waste my time with that one again.

• Like 3

I think air testing can provide valuable information as long as it’s backed up with in the field results. Some of the custom programs that people share can be used as a good starting point, but users will likely need to make some adjustments to suit their own needs. The ultimate goal being to help the user understand how and when to use the settings

I also think some detector manufacturers expect positive reviews in exchange for sending free detectors out to these “testers”.  Last year I was contacted by a manufacturer who shall remain nameless. They asked me if I’d be interested in “testing” one of their detectors. I replied and told them “sure, but I don’t post promotional reviews or test results. If it’s good, I’ll say it’s good. If it sucks, I’ll say it sucks”. Never heard back from them. 🙄

• Like 9

On 11/10/2023 at 12:06 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

finding the truth on the Manticore means reading 100 posts or more on the subject by a wide number of different real world users in different locations. The truth emerges over time, not in a five minute video shot by a guy who has had the detector for three days, if that.

Amen.....Did I say Amen?   Give me a big, AMEN! 😎

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2023 at 6:12 AM, EL NINO77 said:

The 12 cm concentric coil on this detector provides the best separation results in the Monte performance nailboard test. at the optimal setting. on 1 frequency but also in multi-frequency...

Not meant to derail, but a quick side-bar please.

@EL NINO,

Can you run that small coil on the Atrex in multi-freq?  I thought I read it should only be run in single frequency?  If it works, does it work well or have problems?

If so I need to test it against my Equinox running the 6" coil in multi-freq, and I may have never purchased the small Equinox coil.

• Like 1

Dave... the 12cm concentric coil on the ATREX ..it is not a problem to work in multi-frequency,,, on the contrary, it does not lose its separation possibilities... which I use and have good results with it.. and the great value of this small 12cm concentric coil from provides the best 2D separation of all coils to ATREX...:wink:

• Like 2

@EL NINO77  This gives me hope for the Versa with a small concentric coil.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 1:06 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

So what sells metal detectors these days? A lot of the market now is driven by “influencers” on YouTube and other social media.

I remember when the Nox line was to come out and it was only shown at the big Minelab rallies. They were allowing different hunters try it out, and as one hunter was holding it another took a gold ring and swiped it past the coil at a good distants, maybe 2 feet? WOW..it hit it..I was in shock!.... I'm thinking, there goes all the spots I hunt and maybe I should get one ASAP? Luckily, I set back and watched but never took the chance. How that machine hit that ring with a air swing, at that distances, I have no clue but I was ready to get one from that youtube video.

I did fall for the AQ thru the video's Alexandre posted on youtube, almost felt like I connected with the machine by the way the audio sounded?... it did work out for me, even got a second one and very happy with them. Now the other 98 AQ owners? 🙄 

• Like 3