The Legend V.1.14 Beta-1 Beast

Gen D is a motion All Metal mode with adjustable tone pitch breakpoint & TID. Great concept but I have never been able to get it to function anywhere near as good as the Anfibio's very powerful motion Disc modes.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a relatively new Legend owner (purchased primarily for gold prospecting), I am somewhat reluctant to 'jump into' these fascinating "Beast" threads.

However, so many of the above (much appreciated) comments hit home when one is looking for small, non ferrous, low conductive targets ... such as small gold.

Should Nokta combine a software package such as Beast into a deeper punching, much anticipated PI machine, the product could be awesome.

I'm heading out in a few minutes - weather permitting - with my SDC and Legend to a nearby workings and continue my evaluation/comparisons between the units.

If there is something worthwhile that I can post, I will gladly do so.

18 hours ago, Zaj56 said:

I am happy with it so far but I need some clarification on the 2nd Ground balance...what exactly does that mean?

According to the release notes of the new update, the 2nd GB is to overcome mineralized/hot rocks, red bricks and other ground changes in the surrounding environment that have different properties than the soil that’s been ground balanced.

2 hours ago, Coffeeguyzz said:

As a relatively new Legend owner (purchased primarily for gold prospecting), I am somewhat reluctant to 'jump into' these fascinating "Beast" threads.

However, so many of the above (much appreciated) comments hit home when one is looking for small, non ferrous, low conductive targets ... such as small gold.

Should Nokta combine a software package such as Beast into a deeper punching, much anticipated PI machine, the product could be awesome.

I'm heading out in a few minutes - weather permitting - with my SDC and Legend to a nearby workings and continue my evaluation/comparisons between the units.

If there is something worthwhile that I can post, I will gladly do so.

Just use the Gold Prospecting mode in Multi M on the Legend for small gold nugget prospecting. It works really well. Lower the sensitivity to just below where the Legend with the smallest available coil runs a tad noisy, lower the iron filter setting to as low as possible (0 or 1), set the recovery speed between 3 and 6, run threshold anywhere you like or can stand as long as its above 0 and don't notch anything and ground balance when needed.

No Boost or Beast mode that Nokta has put on its detectors was really for smaller targets less than 0.5 grams or so. In more mineralized ground, the Boost mode on the Gold Kruzer just boosted the ground noise.......

On 4/14/2024 at 12:49 PM, Digalicious said:

BM worked well on about 30% of the fringe targets. With the other 70% of fringe targets, it either did no better, or did worse than Park Mode. BM also severely up averaged nonferrous targets, but that effect was more pronounced on lower conductors like foil.

From what I've read, other than the depth thing, many are expecting BM to give accurate audio and ID, but I don't think that's possible. I mean, BM is designed for fringe targets. Fringe targets don't contain enough information to have accurate audio and ID. That is the very nature of fringe targets. That's why I don't think BM can provide better ID and audio than the other modes. All it can do (sometimes), is give an "on" audio response to indicate a nonferrous target, when other modes can't.

I did even more testing, and I think I'm convinced that BM often, and deliberately, ignores shallow to mid depth targets (mid to high signal strength targets). That would explain why so many of my in the wild targets weren't even detectable in BM, but came through loud and clear with a good ID in Park mode. The 30% of targets in which BM was much better than Park mode, were all deep or tiny targets (low signal strength targets).

22 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Just use the Gold Prospecting mode in Multi M on the Legend for small gold nugget prospecting. It works really well. Lower the sensitivity to just below where the Legend with the smallest available coil runs a tad noisy, lower the iron filter setting to as low as possible (0 or 1), set the recovery speed between 3 and 6, run threshold anywhere you like or can stand as long as its above 0 and don't notch anything and ground balance when needed.

No Boost or Beast mode that Nokta has put on its detectors was really for smaller targets less than 0.5 grams or so. In more mineralized ground, the Boost mode on the Gold Kruzer just boosted the ground noise.......

This is what I use to hunt jewelry with. I run sensitivity a hair lower and recovery a bit higher because I am deliberately hunting a bit shallower and use the all metal disc mode. This is for alloyed gold which is a little different of course, but the idea is to hunt gold jewelry with a prospector’s mindset. The thinking process is the same.

I have been following this thread with great interest hoping the new update would turn into something for me, but the more I read the more it looks like the opposite of what I want. There is clear utility in the thing, just not for small gold. 

41 minutes ago, STA said:

This is what I use to hunt jewelry with. I run sensitivity a hair lower and recovery a bit higher because I am deliberately hunting a bit shallower and use the all metal disc mode. This is for alloyed gold which is a little different of course, but the idea is to hunt gold jewelry with a prospector’s mindset. The thinking process is the same.

I have been following this thread with great interest hoping the new update would turn into something for me, but the more I read the more it looks like the opposite of what I want. There is clear utility in the thing, just not for small gold. 

I don't want to go off on a detour.

I will just say that using Goldfield for hunting micro gold jewelry will work but if there is a lot of modern aluminum trash in the same area, it may be very frustrating since Goldfield only has 1 tone VCO audio.

I've only experimented with the DT from this update. And so far in my yard test garden it is giving me an ID now on some that were really jumpy before. I really can see the DT feature being good for a lot of people if they don't jack it up into oblivion.  The one target in particular for me I knew exactly what it was and how deep it is. I was getting tone but no ID, the DT simply being turned on at its lowest setting helped give it a number, and as a bonus it was the proper number considering what the target was.

Has anyone ever wondered if Nokta is making "ninja updates"?  A lot of companies do that. They initially put something out there (especially software) to meet a deadline. They get some feedback int he first few days. They make changes to the software and throw it out into the wild without telling anyone (the ninja update). It happens on a regular basis with many companies. The thing about updates for metal detectors like the Legend, we are only seeing that filename and a date/time stamp.  For those of you out there that think that sort of thing can't be altered you are sadly mistaken. There are definitely ways to change date/timestamps on software. What is harder though is changing the file size (gotcha). Any manipulation of code can potentially increase/decrease the file size.

And before anyone gets upset understand that I am enjoying my Nokta Legend. I invite Nokta to throw as many Ninja Updates as they need out there in order to shock the socks off owners even more with awesome performance. At this moment in time I have no reservations about buying this detector.  I'm loving the fact they are still actively updating this machine.

I made a Post with a video link to my off the cuff frequency read out of the Legend in Gold Field & BE modes using the Versa's EMI Preview Screen.  The consistent 25 kHz spike was evidently from a constant outside EMI source.  Nothing even close to conclusive but interesting.  I've got to get a better camera!

Let me see the Beast Mode on a saltwater beach, not on land videos.