Going To New Zealand

Mitchel; Please take lots of extra film and get it developed as soon as you get back and share your pictures with us.

You might even consider a slide show.

Mitchel, best of luck and safe journey… I definitely see the makings of a viral video opportunity in the family vacation of a lifetime… you and the family have a wonderful time.

and… a round of drinks on me for you, Simon and JW, hit me up when you get back, cheers.

Well, Mitchel landed safely in NZ

He sent me a SMS message when he arrived, unfortunately my phone provider won't let me reply, it just bounces back as he's on a USA number roaming in NZ.

So Mitchel, if you see this, you'll have to try contact me another way, email, forum messages, anything but SMS.  I tried to call and that doesn't work either.  Might be a good idea to get a pre-paid NZ sim card, they're only $5 and will give you credit for SMS's and calls.

UPDATE: All good, he emailed me from Mcdonald's at the airport.

3 hours ago, phrunt said:

Well, Mitchel landed safely in NZ

He sent me a SMS message when he arrived, unfortunately my phone provider won't let me reply, it just bounces back as he's on a USA number roaming in NZ.

So Mitchel, if you see this, you'll have to try contact me another way, email, forum messages, anything but SMS.  I tried to call and that doesn't work either.  Might be a good idea to get a pre-paid NZ sim card, they're only $5 and will give you credit for SMS's and calls.

UPDATE: All good, he emailed me from Mcdonald's at the airport.

Simon, I sent Mitchel a screen shot sms of this message he can get and reply to my phone.

16 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

Simon, I sent Mitchel a screen shot sms of this message he can get and reply to my phone.

Thanks, he ended up emailing me from the McDonald's at the airport, so all is good now 😉

I think my phone won't send to a USA number for some reason.  

It took a few extra hours but we are all here!  We'll do a bit more driving around Auckland today before going to an in-laws farm and then we begin heading South.

Weather is quite nice in the high 60s and 70s.  Kids are crazy with energy after a couple of airport days.

McDonald's is a lifesaver for their internet.  Simon, does KFC have free internet?  

More later.

I don't think KFC do, Burger King and McDonald's do.  

You can buy a pre-paid Sim card for $15 NZD, what's that about 9 USD that will give you unlimited texts, 200 mins of phone calls and 1.25gb of data, and if you run out you can top it up for $5 NZD.   Might make life a bit easier.

See here

Just pull into one of them dirty great big Red shed Warehouse buildings to get it.  1.25GB should do the trick though.

So, there is this problem of charging my computer.  The van needs to be plugged in to a camping spot for the 220 and my converter to work.  I can charge my USB devices without a spot.  My laptop needs a usb charger.