Gold Monster / Golden Mask Rod Adaptation

I purchased a Golden Mask telescoping rod with the intent of using it for my Deus HF elliptical coil. XP placing the battery in the trapezoidal lower rod section however made an adaptation more trouble than it is worth for something I am not sure I will keep anyway. I decided to repurpose it instead to the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 in an attempt to make it as easy as possible to collapse down and put in a rucksack.

golden-mask-universal-metal-detector-rod-assembly.jpg

The arm cup removal is easy. Just remove the bolts. The grip/handle however is both screwed together and glued. Have to give them credit - beautifully made rod assembly. Some heat from a hair dryer and careful prying got the grip assembly off the rod.

golden-mask-telescoping-rod-disassembled.jpg

The upper rod is thicker than the standard rod diameter and so the neat little clamps Minelab includes with the GM1000 will not work. Instead standard hose clamps will serve until I get some that fit better.

golden-mask-telescoping-rod-minelab-gold-monster.jpg

The upper rod is not quite long enough to get the proper spacing for the armrest, so this is a mockup until I find a short piece of rod the correct diameter to install in the upper rod for a little extra length. Roughly 30" long when collapsed. The coil needed to be shimmed with an extra rubber washer. I used the skinny little Golden Mask plastic bolt but will drill the isolator rod out to accommodate the Minelab bolt later.

golden-mask-telescoping-rod-minelab-gold-monster-adaptation.jpg

Near final product, with way more length fully extended than I need at my height of 5'11" but that is good for working overhead cut banks and poking around in the brush. Click all photos for larger versions. Once I get the rough edges finished this will be a sweet little backpacker unit.

golden-mask-telescoping-rod-minelab-gold-monster-adaptation-extended.jpg

golden-mask-telescoping-rod-minelab-gold-monster-1000-adaptation-extended.jpg

The 2nd supplier is the one that i bought my GM shafts early last year,use mine all the time on my Deus,terrific shafts especially for the Deus coil,as i mainly just use the detector without the controller as i usually have mine in my pocket and just use it as a audio only machine.

But must admit i love the way that Steve has grafted the Gold Monster control box onto the shaft,work and looks very well.

Almost there. Better fitting clamps, upper rod extended 6" with 3/4" PVC pipe, and drilled to fit Golden Mask armrest. About 32" collapsed and 5 feet fully extended! Weighs 3 lbs 7.7 oz (3.48 lbs) or 1.58 kg with rechargeable batteries installed. A few little tweaks yet to do but basically this is a done deal.

minelab-gold-monster-1000-golden-mask-telescoping-rod-conversion-collapsed.jpg

minelab-gold-monster-1000-golden-mask-telescoping-rod-conversion-extended.jpg

A tit bit, when I modded the Monster as a pinpointer, I accidently found ML have molded a clip into the support that goes up to front of battery holder. This clip holds the coil cable neatly and firmly as it heads towards the shaft a 4 or so inches from where it screws into the control box. Have again attached the photo of the Monster Pinpointer to illustrate this.

Monster.thumb.jpg.50cec48bdf7c26f56cea32c6a4631867.jpg