New Equinox Beach Report From Hawaii

I probably wouldn’t throw the shaft and parts down on the sand prior to assembly though...

but I’ve been known to step over gates to save the hinges.:laugh:

3 hours ago, JP.Diggzzit said:

I am pretty sure we won't have to wait long for after market carbon fiber shafts. I would be interested in a one piece carbon fiber upper shaft for local sites.  Use the stock aluminum 2 piece shaft for travel.  There is a one piece carbon fiber upper available for the gold monster on eBay.  Steve, are the outer and inner diameters of the gold monster upper shaft the same as the equinox?

I’d be interested in the shaft’s I.D. And O.D. I have couple of carbon fiber shafts in my shop and would love to make a CF shaft for the Equinox.

2 hours ago, BeachHunter said:

I’d be interested in the shaft’s I.D. And O.D. I have couple of carbon fiber shafts in my shop and would love to make a CF shaft for the Equinox.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/4899-what-is-length-of-equinox-fully-collapsed/?do=findComment&comment=51607

The Gold Monster comes with a three piece screw-together (non-collapsible) rod assembly. However, it does have the same 22 mm diameter upper rod outside diameter and 20 mm lower rod outside diameter.

Thanks for the posting.  I was able to see it without using my Facebook.  I have some 'non-Equinox' observations about the video.

One observation that I noticed for sure was you can tell a lot about someone from the tools they use.  They are using a gold scoop at the beach!  I've never done that.  I have a proper beach scoop but maybe they could not put one on the plane?  This makes it look like to me that the beach is not their great comfort area.

Another observation was it looked like they picked an 'isolated' beach?  That tree canopy which made it look so romantic might be a long distance from a decent parking lot or any shops.  I'll take a beach that has had some living done on it over an isolated beach most of the time.

JP's video said they detected around some gum trees for coins because people shaded there and left things under the trees when swimming.  Those are some clues we can all use.

I liked the audio of the 800.  I use my 3030 in smooth mode because I can't stand the normal sound.  I was afraid the 800 was going to be difficult on my ears but I'm ready for it.

Mitchel

Regarding the gold scoop, I noticed that right off the bat and rolled my eyes, but then he immediately said that they are not beach hunters. Taking the opportunity to beach hunt on their tropical holiday from Scotland, I presume, so I cut them some slack at that point and concluded that this was not going to be anything close to a beach hunter's Equinox tutorial.  I've been to Kauai on several occasions. There is no place there like Waikiki beach crowded and bustling.  That is part of that Island's allure, so you do what you can.  Frankly, I am surprised they found as much as they did.  I think they were gaging the beach purely by the amount of surface trash they could see (a heckuva lot more than Brandon found).  It looked trashier than most Kauai beaches but that could have been flotsam washed up by the tide rather than an indication of a well traveled beach.  Anyway, yeah they were not avid, experienced beach hunters in a non-ideal spot and probably knew nothing of cuts, towel lines, coin lines, or any other nuances to beach hunting that experienced beach hunters know.  Like I said previously, the from scratch assembly segment was worth the price of admission for me.

Thanks for the followup.  Most of the first half I didn't have the audio on so ... I missed what you picked up.  Apologies to the film stars and I am glad they made it the best they could.  It shows someone without beach experience can use it.  Experienced beach users will use it better.

Who are the beach testers for Minelab?  Have they posted any videos?

Mitchel

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/4899-what-is-length-of-equinox-fully-collapsed/?do=findComment&comment=51607

The Gold Monster comes with a three piece screw-together (non-collapsible) rod assembly. However, it does have the same 22 mm diameter upper rod outside diameter and 20 mm lower rod outside diameter.

Thank you Sir!