Three Rusty Bottle Caps And A $500 Silver, Gold And Diamond Ring!

I was metal detecting the beach in the water about Waist Deep, when I hit this signal that was large and the Equinox was giving numbers from 12 to 18 with the occasional hits around 26 to 32

At first I thought bottle caps! I have found groups of them before... and as I started to walk away I thought to myself I've never had bottle caps hit up in those High numbers before...

So I went back and started digging and my first scoop had two Rusty bottle caps in it... went back over the hole and now the signal still bounced around but was more solid than before...

My next scoop was another bottle cap and as I ran the coil over the hole again, a solid 28 the next scoop brought up a completely crusted black ring!

I just thought cool it must be silver with a little star of gold.... I didn't think much of it... when I got back and cleaned it up, I started thinking this is not just an ordinary silver ring, this is some kind of fancy designer ring!

It's made in France by a jewelry company Mauboussin that's been around since 1858 I think it was...

And a quick search of the internet they sell for 500.00

20180429_082453.jpg

Amazingly I had a similar but not exact situation happen yesterday while hunting an old park (loaded with modern pull tabs) with my two hunting buddies.  I had dug several old, flat bottle caps (ID came in the 30's) and many twist off bottle caps (ID 20-22) while hunting deeper targets.  I was purposely running field 1 with no discrimination, 50 tones, recovery 7 and listening for the hint of a higher tone than the normal tone of 20-22 because this area had yielded many Barbers, Indians and Mercs in the past. My first slightly higher tone was so well mixed I almost walked away, the Id floated between 20 and 23 but the 23 caught my attention so I decided to dig and at less than 5" and laying vertical beside a huge rock was a 1936 wheat penny.  My next target was completely different in that it had solid ID's 18-19 with associated tones but just the hint of a higher tone in the mix.  This target ended up being a 1919 wheat penny. 

I might add, even though I've got some time on this machine, I'm not an expert by any means but the audio characteristics are coming with use.  Audio first, ID second..........

1 hour ago, Mark Gillespie said:

My next target was completely different in that it had solid ID's 18-19 with associated tones but just the hint of a higher tone in the mix.  This target ended up being a 1919 wheat penny. 

Hello Mark, I have heard reference to this high tone filtering through with out VID # to correspond, this is what you/others mean right?

My X-terra 705 seems to directly connect the tone to the VID # so this does not happen or I have not been able to "hear" it with the 705 even using what they call 99 tones.

Any 705 users hear high tones without VDI #s, maybe I need better headphones?

Doug

WOW!  What a SUPERB ring you dug!  With three bottle caps in the hole, as well?  I'd say you did a GREAT job on that!

CONGRATS!!

Steve