We’re having a mild winter here in the Pacific NW, so I went out for a few hours today in search of some thawed ground and old coins. I did a little spot hopping to stay on diggable ground within this early 1900s park and was able to come home with an above average number of V Nickels.  It’s not uncommon for me to come home with a couple Vs  in one hunt but I think 5 is a new record for me.  I also managed a a crusty wheat penny, a 1906 D Barber Dime and a Spokane United Railways Token. The little token was past 8” which I would have never believed possible until I dug it. They are very small and thin.  It’s always nice to be able to get out in January in this neck of the woods..

Bryan

87340B11-2167-493C-9B0F-6040D82BAFCE.jpeg

620130C2-BD62-4D90-8166-3E17936B23CA.jpeg

ADE508DF-A0C5-4AAA-87BE-02E95255D96C.jpeg

Nice! That's a great haul!

2 hours ago, rod-pa said:

Bryan,

Nice work on the Vs.  I love finding them.  What are you using to get rid of the red?

Thanks!  I just use steel wool with a little dish soap and water, or SOS pads. I try to leave a little color on the coin if I can to help bring out the details. I use a small piece so I can control the cleaning.  It’s easy to over do the rim. 

Bryan

Dang Bryan!!!  That is impressive right there!!! Tim.

Excellent !!! Congrats on all those V's. You did a great job on the clean up too.

NIce V's! First coin I ever found was an 1889 V. Found it while nugget hunting, using the GMT. Yours are in good condition.

Jim

On 1/22/2019 at 2:17 PM, Cabin Fever said:

Thanks!  I just use steel wool with a little dish soap and water, or SOS pads. I try to leave a little color on the coin if I can to help bring out the details. I use a small piece so I can control the cleaning.  It’s easy to over do the rim. 

Bryan

Bryan,

I'm a bit impatient....so I got out my dremel tool and the softest wire brush I had for it...sure shined up the practice nickels....gonna take more practice, though, lol...

good job on the V's...….!!!!!  for some odd reason (?) it's my favorite coin to dig...…...