I Hit A Homerun With The Nox

Dan(NM)

I'm not sure where to start, I had an epic day that I never thought I'd see. There are some things you never figure you'll dig and when you least expect it.... BAM!!! I met up with a fellow hunter to do a little relic hunting at a old fort site. His day started off with an 1846 Mexican 1/4 reale and then an awesome button, which he ended up finding 2 of. I started off with the usual lead and percussion caps and finally a 1846 Mexican reale as well. I was having a frustrating start with my wireless earbuds cutting out and the other pair not working at all. I tried using wired earbuds on the Equinox, but kept pulling them out almost everytime I set my machine down. Jimmy let me use his ML80's and that helped me settle down and get some serious hunting done.
Jimmy ended up leaving after a few hours and I told him I was going to hunt for another hour and then head to the house. My goal was to at least find a couple of nice buttons to make a day of it, little did I know the fun was about to begin within the next 30 minutes. I worked my way around to the other side of where we had parked, and started finding more lead and a few more percussion caps. I got a screaming 25-26 hit on the Nox, I dug down about 8" and figured I had hit a can or something. I covered the hole, but, thought to myself..... that could be a buckle. I redug the hole and finally pried out a top of an old aluminum can. About 15 minutes later I get an almost identical signal, 25-27, but, when I pinpointed it sounded different. My thought was I was digging a silver coin at depth, so....I was quite a bit more careful with this hole. Almost 8" down I pop out a huge round thing smiley.gif it didn't register what it was until I picked it up and felt the weight. Then it hit me......no freaking possible way!!!
I saw the back first, then turned it over, the front had about a 1/4" of dirt caked on it, I carefully rubbed it and there it was headbang.gifheadbang.gifheadbang.gif My first Union breatplate, something I only dreamed of finding and now there it was in my hand laughing7.giflaughing7.gif Thank God I didn't dig it like I had dug the other target, no dig marks on either side. Jimmy had found a US buckle a couple of years before, now, I had me a breastplate, something I never thought I dig.

ff4.jpg

ff3.jpg

ff2.jpg

IMG_8163.JPG

IMG_8164.JPG

ff5.jpg

ff6.jpg

IMG_8160.JPG

IMPRESSIVE!!  WOW!  Great hunt, Dan -- a whole pile of super finds, AND a bucket lister, to top it off!!

CONGRATS!!!

Steve

Great finds with the nox!!  So far I have only been able to find a couple of small portions of destroyed Breast plate.  

Congrats on a super hunt. I bet you go back and pound that place all over again. I find a nice steady, slow to mid speed swing works best for depth (as far as coil control is concerned). Good luck there and keep us posted. That breast plate is perfect!!!

Dan I don't know if you have the Equinox 15" coil, but I did well with it at one of my pounded to death relic sites the first time out with it.  Just a thought....

38 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Dan I don't know if you have the Equinox 15" coil, but I did well with it at one of my pounded to death relic sites the first time out with it.  Just a though....

Mine will be here next Tuesday ?

I've been pretty impressed with it.  Obviously it's not the best option for heavy iron, but I was able to pluck two seated dimes and a barber dime out of a hard worked sea of nails and bullet shell area, which impressed the heck out of me ?