No Ferrite, Ver 1 or 2?

hawkeye

Keep the new version.  Use it.  If you find that it is not responsive to your targets then return to old or get a ring.

Let me clarify.  I wonder if the initial ground balancing sequence as programmed in Ver 2 absolutely requires the ferrite to result in a proper balance.  Has Minelab made using the ferrite such a critical part of the initial ground balance that would be detrimental if not used in the process?  Since the ferrite was introduced after Ver 1 it might be assumed it was not critical to the process and incorporated somehow in the firmware.  Might it be assumed that Ver 1 would result in a better balance if no ferrite is available?

Yes, the answer is get a ferrite.   But until obtained could Ver 1 a better choice? 

Let me clarify.  I wonder if the initial ground balancing sequence as programmed in Ver 2 absolutely requires the ferrite to result in a proper balance.  Has Minelab made using the ferrite such a critical part of the initial ground balance that would be detrimental if not used in the process?  Since the ferrite was introduced after Ver 1 it might be assumed it was not critical to the process and incorporated somehow in the firmware.  Might it be assumed that Ver 1 would result in a better balance if no ferrite is available?

Yes, the answer is get a ferrite.   But until obtained could Ver 1 a better choice? 

It's OK to use either software version without the Ferrite, personally I'd go with the latest version of software because it's so much more refined. Without the Ferrite just make sure you perform the walk and sweep method properly in all the Gold Modes you intend to hunt in. Another thing of interest is the GB now dumps all its info when the Quick Trak button is held in for more than ten seconds, so keep the walk and sweep less than ten seconds or if you want to improve on the result release QuicTrak and then hold in again to further improve beyond the 10 second mark.

JP

• Like 2

I only used the ferrite at start-up and the version 2 software seemed to run just fine without reusing the ferrite later in the session, so my guess is you are better off with version 2.

It's OK to use either software version without the Ferrite, personally I'd go with the latest version of software because it's so much more refined. Without the Ferrite just make sure you perform the walk and sweep method properly in all the Gold Modes you intend to hunt in. Another thing of interest is the GB now dumps all its info when the Quick Trak button is held in for more than ten seconds, so keep the walk and sweep less than ten seconds or if you want to improve on the result release QuicTrak and then hold in again to further improve beyond the 10 second mark.

JP

i don't remember reading about the 10 second re-set for the ground balance? is that published in a white paper?