Few Little Ones With 2300

GoldEn

Evening all. 

I went out yesterday arvo and deliberately took the SDC to try these settings as it seemed like a good idea. Not sure if it was just bad EMI but I just couldn't get it to run with a zero threshold. Was constantly popping in and out with noise to the point where it was just hopeless. Tried a few noise cancels but no good.  

Maybe dropping back to 3 or 4 sensitivity or maybe running it in the morning may have helped - EMI seems worse for me in the arvo. 

Interested to hear how others go. And GoldEn - when you have yours on sens 5 and 1 dot of threshold is it dead quiet until you get a target?? 

Thanks, Adam. 

Hi Northeast 

most times is very quiet.

I detected 20 nuggets for 1 gram so they pretty small,

You sure know its a target.

Sure few feet i ground balance.

GoldEN

• Like 1

Thanks GoldEn. Heading out again Thursday with the Z but might throw the SDC in for a play. 

These 'no threshold' settings might be enough to entice the Mrs back out into the bush - listening to the threshold wavering about the place gave her the irrates.  Even though the SDC is pretty quiet :rolleyes: 

Adam. 

• Like 1

We all of course reiterate over and over the importance of a finely tuned threshold. However, I personally at least have found many gold nuggets doing something as simple as running a Gold Bug 2 in silent search discrimination mode. It eliminates iron, nearly all hot rocks, and beeps on gold. Sure, you lose depth, miss some gold........ but if I was to take my wife out tomorrow that is probably how I would set her up. She will never learn the nuances of chasing threshold variations and I do not want her getting frustrated digging hot rocks or nails. Her attention span would be over in a heartbeat. The same thing applies to many casual people and making things as pleasant as possible is important. Long way to say I like the idea of alternative "quiet settings" for any detector. They are usually more effective then we give them credit for. Super hot machines like an SDC give up very little if anything being run this way, and getting rid of distracting noise that can mask good targets is always beneficial.

Says the guy that nearly always runs machines hot and noisy! :biggrin:

• Like 3

Steve, I love the irony.

I think that is a very sane way to involve a novice or casual detectorist...you can handle (even enjoy) the crazy settings but a beginner is not likely to enjoy them. 

I always encourage beginners to use stock settings and less sensitivity while they learn. There is plenty of time to get wild and crazy...

fred

• Like 2

agree with you both.There is no way a newbie (novice) will find any of these little nuggets if only little of noise.

Looking back i wouldn't find 9 of 10 when i started.

i always preferred silence when i started.i realized this when i took newbies for a first time they just walk and dont "hear "it..

GoldEN

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Northeast said:

I went out yesterday arvo and deliberately took the SDC to try these settings as it seemed like a good idea. Not sure if it was just bad EMI but I just couldn't get it to run with a zero threshold. Was constantly popping in and out with noise to the point where it was just hopeless. Tried a few noise cancels but no good.  

Mate that is exactly the reason I don`t like goldEn`s settings.
I`m not saying anything out of school here because goldEn and I are mates and I`m always telling him I don`t like his settings.
Mate I run a cheap little amp on my 23 that you can get on ebay for less than 20 bucks and the reason I love this amp is you can get the threshold on the 23 to run as smooth as silk.   My settings is gain on 4 or 5 and I up the audio to the 3rd light, and then the trick is you set the threshold by adjusting the volume on the amp.  Doing this you get no chirping in the threshold what so ever.  The trade off of this is targets don`t come through real loud but you still hear the .05`s no worries.  I have demonstrated to my lovely other half that she is missing targets by running only the 1st light but she`s quite happy to have a quiet detector, but me, I`ve gotta have that threshold.
goldEn used my settings last weekend but he didn`t tell me what he thought of them.  Maybe he didn`t say anything because he was being polite :smile:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Protable-Silver-Guitar-Amplifier-Powered-9V-For-Guitar-Ukulele-Banjo-ETC-/321396695326?hash=item4ad4bc611e:g:7ZsAAOxyOalTZRS6
cheers Dave 
10qljb7

• Like 3

Phoenix i did persist with your settings last trip.

Targets very much softer and iffy but i got 14 nuggets for 0.8grams.

Dont mind your setting but i like it little louder:)

GoldEN

• Like 2