And the coin is holed! Cool! Great find! And finds, in excellent condition!! Thanks for sharing!!👍👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good finds for your first time there, hope that you get to go back and find some more.

Good luck hunting.

• Thanks 1

That is a fantastic find. Never seen that symbol so must be very rare. Well done. 

Curious how the two of you search that large area? Do you grid it off and use a lawnmower pattern back and forth? Do you then search it over from a different direction? Never had a large field to hunt so just wanted to ask.

HH

• Thanks 1

I found an 1830 half Reale version of that coin last year (slightly smaller than a dime)...in PA.  It's a Mexican First Republic 8 Reale coin.  The smaller denominations are not particularly rare in relation to their US silver counterparts of the same era (still any nearly 200 year old coin found silver or otherwise is always great), but any time you find an 8 Reale silver be it Spanish or Mexican, that is an amazing find, akin to finding an old  silver dollar or similar big silver.  Probably around a $30 to $50, un-holed in VF to XF condition to give you a sense of its collectable value and rarity.  Awesome save and in great shape! 

PS Tom you should place it next to a known common object/coin to give folks a sense of scale.  I know that is a huge chunk of silver.  Also, a great "find of the month" candidate when Steve gets that contest going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

That is a fantastic find. Never seen that symbol so must be very rare. Well done. 

Curious how the two of you search that large area? Do you grid it off and use a lawnmower pattern back and forth? Do you then search it over from a different direction? Never had a large field to hunt so just wanted to ask.

HH

Yes, I use a kind of back and forth search method like I was mowing.

• Like 1

Awesome finds! The 8 Reale is Mexican, not Spanish. Mexico won their independence from Spain in 1821. That's a very cool piece of history you found.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Awesome finds! The 8 Reale is Mexican, not Spanish. Mexico won their independence from Spain in 1821. That's a very cool piece of history you found.

True.  It is an important historical distinction.  Folks tend to use the term “Spanish silver” rather loosely, one reason being the late 18th and early 19th Century Spanish and Mexican silver currency most commonly found in North America were mostly minted in Mexico City.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By calabash digger
      I went to a spot that I had been researching and pickings were slim. A stunner showed up and made it all worth it! 

• By F350Platinum
      Cold day today, only got up to about 36, but the wind died down enough to go out in the farm. Another great day! Usually I find buttons, but I'm moving more toward where an 1800s house was so I expect there to be a mix. There is a road that ran through the farm way before it was built so I will find 1700s items too.
      Today the ground was a bit frozen so I dialed recovery speed back to 2 from 3 (Equinox 600), and cranked the sensitivity up to 21. Not sure if this helped but the proof is in the finds I guess.
      I was only able to make four passes up and back, it's about 300 yards one way. Photo below illustrates the distance, my golf cart is by the road. I'm doing a grid search so it is very tedious but still a blast.
      Found a really small thimble, a piece of buckle, a very small button and two heavily corroded pennies, one a wheat penny with no discernable date (edit: if you zoom the penny it appears to be a 1919 ) and the other an 1865 Indian head. My grandkids gave me a digital microscope for my birthday, and the date stands out pretty clear!
      Yes, I found yet another Spanish (really Mexico mint) half Real. This one clearly shows the mint mark in the microscope, they were minted from 1772 to 1784, but I can't find a date. The first one I found was 1778. There are a few other identifying marks on it.
      And just as I thought I was done, in the last 20 feet I got a solid 16, and popped out the gold plated broach with 4 stones. The stones are yellowish under the microscope, and one appears to be chipped so I know they are not diamonds. They still sparkle though! There is a bit of gold plating in the back and a spot where the pin was attached.

• By F350Platinum
      Today I went out to the farm instead of the steamboat landing. It was cold, never got above 35, but the ground here still hasn't frozen. Never really does on average. Ground balanced the Equinox for the first time, it was acting kind of squirrelly today for some reason. 
      Highest Id goes to the strange round fitting, it was a 32! Tapered screw threads on the inside, I'm thinking compression fitting of some sort. I think I broke the old dog tag but found all the pieces. I've been pretty lucky not breaking stuff, don't know what happened. The large piece at the top ID'd at 25, the copper nail was a 9 at first but was a 15 out of the ground. Not sure what caliber the bullet is but it looks like a match bullet. One of the longest I've seen.
      D buckle is silverplated, found the most fragile buckle yet, dug a thimble, and two buttons, one I think is pewter and the other says "STANDARD COLOUR GILT".  It's an old one with an alpha shank. 
      Musket ball, and some tiny bits that ID'd high, the smallest bit was a 22.
      Oh yeah, and the small coin on left bottom is a Half Real 😎, second one I've found in this field. It has no identifying marks save for one letter on one side but it's non ferrous and weighs exactly the same and is the same size as the one I dug previously. It has a hole to keep it on a thread or ribbon, or to sew it in clothing. Great day! 

• By The Seeker
      Me and the wife were looking thru some older money and foreign currency and I came across this coin. I had seen it before but I didn't pay it much attention. I honestly have no idea where or when I found it. It’s a 1/4 Pahlavi Mohammed Reza Sha made from 1945-1979. I weigh mine and it’s exactly 2.03 grams. I know it’s not an American gold coin but I’m still happy to have it in my collection. 

• By kac
      Took my Gold Racer out for just over an hour to an area I had picked up the barber earlier this year. There is a lot of brush and the GR solid coil works well for poking around. Along the shore of the lake I noticed a stretch of bog iron, the lake bottom is usually a light gray. Ran my coil over the area and hit some coin sized objects but numbers bit low which I expect and just under the bog iron was these coins, 1883 IH, trashed IH and an 1873 seated dime. The pond is pretty hard pack gravel so old stuff isn't that deep. Oddly that stupid sinker was about 6" down in the rocks below and tough to dig out and find.
      Will hit this side of the lake in the spring when it thaws.

• By Wendell Clark
      I have been trying to locate a school house site in a small farming settlement that was abandoned by the late 1920's. The settlement had a few houses scattered about, a rail stop/ post office and a 1 room rural school house. Everything was razed years ago. Yesterday I located a privy hole that was cased with an iron pipe so I figured that must be the area. Meager finds that are par for the course here where I live with the exception of the Chinese coin. It is the first I have found, so I was pretty happy with that.