Diggin' The Campground (update)

3 minutes ago, strick said:

Golly you ever hear of leaving some for the next guy 🙂 nice shooting there! 

Strick 

Thanks, been busy. 😀 I figure no one else would leave em behind so "no quarter(s), no mercy" 🤣 no one seems to ever ask if they can metal detect here so it's all mine. 🏴‍☠️ It's only an hour away, we come here a few times a year. Nothing old but a great learning place. I did leave a lot of pennies 🤔

• Like 2

That's the ticket, plenty of good spots to find for those on the hunt, that's a decent collection of stuff.  Looks like you were likely the first to hit that area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, phrunt said:

That's the ticket, plenty of good spots to find for those on the hunt, that's a decent collection of stuff.  Looks like you were likely the first to hit that area.

This is the fourth time I've been here this year with a detector, I think I've found over 500 coins. Every time I've come back I find more, but the place is huge so there's a lot to cover. I was the first, they told me no one ever asked. This is the second campground I got permission to, the first didn't either. It's a great way to keep the beaches and sand lots clean!

• Like 2

That's a lot of quarters!  Just imagine if we had larger denominations circulating.

It's disappointing by contrast seeing the Ausies and Kiwis (Candians, Brits, EU members too?) show pictures of multiple $2 and $1 coins from their hunts.  Our irrational populace (and their equally numbskull officials in charge) won't even use 50 cent pieces.  Instead they mint and distribute worthless Zincolns by the billions. 

I better stop there before I raise too much ire....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

That's a lot of quarters!  Just imagine if we had larger denominations circulating.

It's disappointing by contrast seeing the Ausies and Kiwis (Candians, Brits, EU members too?) show pictures of multiple $2 and $1 coins from their hunts.  Our irrational populace (and their equally numbskull officials in charge) won't even use 50 cent pieces.  Instead they mint and distribute worthless Zincolns by the billions. 

I better stop there before I raise too much ire....

The same thing occurred to me when I read Erik Oostra's recent post. In one of my hunts from the last 3 days I'd be able to buy a TRX on eBay if I was down under. 🤣

There are some wheats and old memorials here but if the ID was between 19 and 24 consistently (some were 25's, usually the older ones) I skipped lots of them. Might be why I didn't find much silver jewelry either. Dug everything from 1 to 18, lots of pull tabs. I used the 10x5 the first two days but switched to the stock coil for the big field. It's not good for the tot lots tho, the 10x5 excels there. It was interesting using both! I did find that a system reset is not necessary when switching.

A lot of the dimes and quarters were 8"+ deep. Fast sink rates here.

• Like 2

Here's an interesting "relic" I dug, it was about 1 foot deep in a sand lot.20210926_093201.thumb.jpg.5a44aa8b4c2aba9b5581b4e1362b479b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

.20210927_132119.thumb.jpg.1bd156c74a169ce1e86ee2b2016d83e0.jpg

That funny looking wingnut at the bottom is a bass guitar tuning key.

Nice haul, Dang! Your pouch must have weighed a ton! : BTW, the "key" looking thing is actually a locking key for a cymbal stand or tom arm mount. The "DW" stands for Drum Workshop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Nice haul, Dang! Your pouch must have weighed a ton! : BTW, the "key" looking thing is actually a locking key for a cymbal stand or tom arm mount. The "DW" stands for Drum Workshop.

Ha, you're right! And I was in bands for years. 🤔😳 Thought it was a bit odd. I really didn't dig a heckuva lot of trash, the coins were heavier.

• Like 1