Deus 2, Nokta Multi, Equinox 1000, All In 2022!

If Nokta can achieve Equinox performance on their first real multi frequency machine then Minelab completely lose their dominance in the market, Minelab have taken many years to get to this position and many generations of multi frequency machines.  They have a lot of staff, as far as I know the biggest engineering department working on these things.  I think it'd be a real surprise for anyone to overtake them.  I'd like for it to happen of course but I just think it's not very likely, although I'd be very happy to be wrong.

Nokta's machines so far haven't really wowed me, so it would be a giant leap.

As for XP I know very little about them as I've avoided them as I'm not a fan of the wireless coils.  They seem far more innovative when it comes to actual performance than Nokta.

If it does happen it's a real kick in the guts for Minelab and maybe they'll finally learn their lesson about aftermarket coils as once they've lost dominance if Nokta continues the trend of allowing Nel coils, Detech coils and so on it's going to be very hard for Minelab to get me back as a VLF customer.

Yes, they let Coiltek make a few coils for it after a few years, but Coiltek just doesn't seem to have what it takes to make VLF coils, the only decent one is the 10x5" but any other manufacturer would have made that the same or better, then a bunch more good sizes too and Coilteks are overpriced.

The best bit about these two new releases is they're chipping away at Minelab's dominance, and that can only be a good thing for all of us.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, phrunt said:

If Nokta can achieve Equinox performance on their first real multi frequency machine then Minelab completely lose their dominance in the market

Especially if they can stretch the target ID range out so it is not so compressed like the nox has. That is one thing that we lost that the E Trac and CTX had developed quite nicely.

• Like 5

So after the XP Deus 2 debut, I’m not sure what to think yet. For me, whether I hold on to my equinox or not is going to boil down to how effective the Deus 2 is in multifrequency modes. The only thing I’m fairly sure of is that for me, and how I like to metal detect, so far my CTX and V3i with all their features will live to fight another day in my arsenal. Heavy as they may be these days compared to recent releases, I have no physical trouble swinging them as of yet. They continue to be worth what they bring to the table for me. Next for me is to see some testing and more specifics on Deus 2 and to wait and see what Nokta Makro brings to market. 

• Like 3

Every pre-order of the Deus 2 is one less potential Nokta MF customer. It never pays to come last and perfectly timed by XP to take the shine off the Nokta release.

I'd rather sit this one out and wait, nothing compelling so far that It think would be of great benefit to me based on specifications so far.  Of course user results and reviews could change that but at the moment I'm not jumping in on Deus, now to see what Nokta do.

• Like 5

Personally, I'm not going to sell my Equinox now that I'm finally getting comfortable with it. But, I only have 2 older detectors that I keep for sentimental reasons and don't use anymore, so the Deus 2 really looks good to me, but I'll wait and give the Nokta a chance and would like to see if Minelab has an ace up their sleeve before committing to another detector. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

Every pre-order of the Deus 2 is one less potential Nokta MF customer. It never pays to come last and perfectly timed by XP to take the shine off the Nokta release.

I'd rather sit this one out and wait, nothing compelling so far that It think would be of great benefit to me based on specifications so far.  Of course user results and reviews could change that but at the moment I'm not jumping in on Deus, now to see what Nokta do.

I think it's wise for you to wait to see what Nokta brings to the table, especially since Nokta will have a wide variety of accessory coils to choose from if their track record holds for the new SMF release.

• Like 4

As a water hunter and scuba diver, I'm almost frustrated by the scarce choice I have today.

After 17 Years spent burning money in way expensive stuffs to get the job done, I'm still forced to rely on my brand new third Excalibur and the one and only Ctx since 2013.

Beyond dozens of tests I still need in one machine the waterproof ability of the green mule, a straight Anderson shaft, a trigger pinpoint on the handle, the depth of a Nox on a 8" coil and for the God sake the discriminating behaviour of the Ctx with four dedicated tones by conductivity...Screen Is the least point for my attitude to a true treshold .

Minelab, please, note to self:

Before 2030

• Like 3

This is going to be interesting!  I'm really happy with my current setup, so I'll be on the sidelines, popcorn in hand, watching how the Deus2 and the NM SMF shake out and how they compare to the EQX800.  Give the hype some time to die down and see which platform's bring home the goods!

• Like 4

I agree, the new shiney looks cool, but nobody has seen any of it in actual use yet. That will be when we really see what's what.