Couple New Legend Videos

MFF18B

Very odd indeed.  Results seemed flipped.  The nailboard test video is of a pre-production unit, and the other videos feature a production model.  Maybe that has something to do with results varying so much?  A head-scratcher for sure.

I forget which video it was, but one of these testers used the nox in park1 with settings cranked up so it would miss targets next to iron, then had the legend set on factory settings to hit targets. No interest at this point to buy the legend

20 hours ago, phrunt said:

I don't know what's wrong with me, I've lost my enthusiasm for new detectors, I used to get so excited about new models, now getting one seems more like a chore.   Perhaps I'm just happy with what I've currently got.

The ferro-check meter seems a bit pointless to me, it's a bit like the gold chance meter on the Gold Monster, you really can't rely on it much.

The Legend ID's seem decent which is a good sign for it.  I do hope Nel make coils for it though.  It'll be interesting how it performs on nuggets with it's smallest coil.

It's good to see new videos popping up from the testers again, I look forward to end user videos popping up in the next few months.

I feel the same was as phrunt at times about the new machines.  Don't know if it is the constant delays, the overabundance of experts and testers or what  While I appreciate the fact that guys that get these new machines in their hands put in in a lot of time doing tests, it seems that all of this "metal detecting DNA rocket science analysis" sucks the fun out of just hunting and finding stuff.  Here's a perfect example.  Go watch Steve's videos on the Goldmaster 24K.  There is no one in the hobby who knows more about how to find gold with a metal detector than Steve, right?  Yet in his videos, while he does explain some of the nuances of the 24K, his basic approach is to keep it simple and go find gold.

I'd love for one of the new Legend users to do just that.  Forget the test garden.  Forget the various tweaks.  Just go somewhere, turn the thing on, use the presets for a while and dig some stuff.   That's a video I'd watch.

Bill (S. CA)

• Like 5

Nailed it!  I'm not at all interested in "tester" videos tinkering around in their backyard on their buried target collection, they're only helpful to them and people that live in their general vicinity and with the other new kid on the block end users have had to do videos to show what they're experiencing is different to the tester videos and it's blown up into bruised egos and a battle of the videos.... crazy.    I have a little test garden myself and my most difficult coin I know just the right angle to detect it best, and any other angle struggles and all detectors have this sweet spot angle the same, if I wanted to I could just neglect to come at the coin from that angle if I want one detector to do worse than another, I could make one of my cheaper detectors look like they do better than my more expensive.

Real end user videos that have no motivation to point out only the good points are more interesting to me especially ones where they're going out using the damn detector for what it was designed for, finding stuff!   I don't care what you can find in your backyard that you put there, go find some stuff, find some stuff you've missed in the past with your new magic wand, show its more capable in that way.  Some live dig videos are always a good watch.

I hope the Legend videos don't turn into the same mess as the other new release, the best videos are using the detector, demonstrating its features and how it works, and finding stuff. It's got better waterproofing right? Take it for a water hunt and video it operating, that's a good tester video.  It's sensitive to nuggets? go find some. It's good in trash? great, get in the trash and show us some videos of it finding stuff in it.  Is it deep? let's see some deep coins found on live digs.  It's really not hard to do.

Steves 24k videos were good, Gary's XP videos are good, Nenad's done some great Minelab videos over time, and so has JP, that's the style of video that's interesting.

Test garden videos are a waste of my time.

• Like 4

I enjoy most of the tester videos, sometimes you even learn something new or are reminded of something useful. But still it’s really just voyeurism. Let me do my own testing in my test bed and hunting sites. Then I can decide and learn and have fun. It’s still fun to talk about though, just as long as it is all in perspective. I ignore the bashers.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 9:14 PM, phrunt said:

It kind of makes this testers nail board test video seem a bit odd.

If you are going to give any street cred to this kind of testing--this one seems to show the Legend in a more accurate light.  Nice audio and clean transitions amongst the spikes.   From my "iron cross" testing days I will say that these high resolution machines operate on a ratio--that is---there  is a limit to how big or a chunk of iron they will "see  through".  These tests are more telling IMHO--but still not definitive of in ground performance.  Anyone who wants to see the Impact and NOX perform  this remarkable test can take a look at my YouTube channel.  

cjc

• Like 2

On 2/20/2022 at 2:00 PM, phrunt said:

I don't know what's wrong with me, I've lost my enthusiasm for new detectors, I used to get so excited about new models, now getting one seems more like a chore.   Perhaps I'm just happy with what I've currently got.

The ferro-check meter seems a bit pointless to me, it's a bit like the gold chance meter on the Gold Monster, you really can't rely on it much.

The Legend ID's seem decent which is a good sign for it.  I do hope Nel make coils for it though.  It'll be interesting how it performs on nuggets with it's smallest coil.

It's good to see new videos popping up from the testers again, I look forward to end user videos popping up in the next few months.

Sound like you need to find an old analog 🙂

• Like 1

I think he has one -- a Metrotech 220, straight off of the Jetsons TV show, if I recall.