Target ID Numbers Can Vary With Search Profile & Frequency

Most target id charts are constructed with Park 1 default settings. Be aware that while Minelab has done their best to "normalize" target ids across all Search Profiles and settings the fact is they can vary. Usually by only a single digit, but perhaps more. Ferrous can show large shifts when toggling to 5 kHz mode, which can help with identifying bottle caps, for instance. Examples

This is not a problem for people who generally recover all non-ferrous (U.K. hunters, jewelry hunters) but for people intent on "cherry picking" certain coins, like U.S. nickels, you need to be aware of this. In the link above for instance the classic 13 reading on most nickels is more like 12 in some other profiles.

In general Park 1 and Field 1 will have the most stable target id on coin size targets. Also, be aware that Equinox is very sensitive to surface changes in targets, and so corroded pennies, for example, will vary from cleaner examples.

Here is my classic U.S. coin chart for Park 1 followed by an enhanced version of the Equinox Manual ID Chart from the Instruction Manual, page 31. The location of the modern U.S. dollar (Sacawagea, Susan Anthony) has been noted on the Minelab chart and older silver dollars added, since this was causing confusion. The modern dollar reads near to quarters.

I also added medium and small rings to the chart, since their exclusion had people thinking all rings read high. People are reading way too much into what is missing from these simple guides, or even simple general statements in the manual. Just because they left out small and medium rings does not mean all rings read like pennies! Anyway, I hope this helps clarify things a little.

Click for larger versions...

minelab-equinox-us-target-id-numbers-detector.jpg

minelab-target-id-chart-manual-enhanced.jpg

minelab-equinox-basic-target-id-scale.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

To be honest, in a few of the spots I've hunted the ID numbers are all over the place, and I've used only Park 1 to date. Copper pennies at one park are coming in at 21-27, with some clad dimes actually lower, 25-26.  At another spot older wheats are 18-19.  Clad quarters seem consistent at 31. Way early for me with the Equinox, but the CTX ID seems more accurate so far. Light weight and razor quickness are another story however, and I am pulling more targets out of junk by far with the Nox.  I just can't figure out what they are with confidence as of yet. Can't wait to get it on the beach to compare it to the CTX.

• Like 2

I would figure the narrowing down of target ID's is in it's infancy stages right now. At present there just isn't enough data available to argumentatively say what a particular target is going to come in at and that is A-OK with me. I've seen too many people rely solely on the VDI reading to did or not dig. I would rather dig every good sounding target with the thought I'd rather dig a piece of trash rather than miss out on a potential great find. 

I would imagine that VDI's are also more likely to be more regional based due to your particular soil conditions. As you hunt more and learn to read your soil the VDI picture for your hunting conditions should become clearer. This will all come with time on task with your machine. 100 hours is a pretty good starting point for really understanding a machine. Thankfully we don't have to wait that long to find good stuff. 

• Like 7

I've also seen multiple ferrous and nonferrous targets in the hole causing upaveraging of the nonferrous.  Had a deep corroded penny in a hole partially masked by a steel wire chirping at the high 20's.  Thought I might have had a masked dime.  What matters though is Equinox gave me a definite dig signal on a partially masked high conductor, so I'll take it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It is far more important to get targets dead center and with proper sweep speed to get clean target id numbers with Equinox than with BBS/FBS machines.

You're so right about getting the targets dead center.  Actually the importance of this increases exponentially as depth increases and or co-located targets are in and around the buried target.  I've been holding out on what I've observed, but what you say is extremely critical for a good target ID at depth.  But all this is okay if we all keep your statements in mind when hunting.  You're always on top of this type of information, and thanks goes to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, MPL said:

To be honest, in a few of the spots I've hunted the ID numbers are all over the place, and I've used only Park 1 to date. Copper pennies at one park are coming in at 21-27, with some clad dimes actually lower, 25-26.  At another spot older wheats are 18-19.  Clad quarters seem consistent at 31. Way early for me with the Equinox, but the CTX ID seems more accurate so far. Light weight and razor quickness are another story however, and I am pulling more targets out of junk by far with the Nox.  I just can't figure out what they are with confidence as of yet. Can't wait to get it on the beach to compare it to the CTX.

CTX has tighter ID then both E-Trac and Equinox but your old wheats from 1909 through roughly the 20s or 30s read lower then 40s through 82 on all the above Detectors including the CTX..

The less accurate VID on the Equinox does not bother me because the coins stay in the proper conductive range all the way to max depth in my soil..  I’m digging anything that’s deep in that copper silver range..  A lot of silver dimes vary quite a bit too and hang out down in all parts of the penny range with all three detectors..

Bryan

• Like 5

I have been unsure whether to dig solid-sounding repeatable hits in the 2 - 11 range. After reading the discussion above, it sounds as though I should. I have been slow to understand that a low VDI number does not necessarily mean it is ferrous, it just means that if it is non-ferrous, it is a low conductor. Something to ponder.

I have a similar equinox impression from the test on my test garden, coin 50 eurocent - in 40cm depth, coin 1polsky grosz-15mm coin at -30 cm - depth, in wery low mineralized ground - so it works well recovery speed from 1-6, on a small coin 15mm is better recovery speed 3-6 .. Equinox at 50 eurocent -40cm -to recovery speed 1-2 strong signal with ID 2-6, with coil 10-12 cm above ground, for recovery 5-6 to 6cm above ground - program park2 - sensitivity 23-24 ... Equinox on small 15 mm in 30 cm deep coin works better for recovery 3,4,5 - signal ID 2-8. it is signal-deep coin ... Gold programs take both coins with strong signal Id 2-8 ... programs Park1, Field 1 on a small coin less suitably ... but  coin 50 eurocent I take all program- in sensitivity 23-25  wery well signal,   and  beach 2  weak signal .. 

•  

20 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

I have been unsure whether to dig solid-sounding repeatable hits in the 2 - 11 range. After reading the discussion above, it sounds as though I should. I have been slow to understand that a low VDI number does not necessarily mean it is ferrous, it just means that if it is non-ferrous, it is a low conductor. Something to ponder.

The only numbers that actually are designated as ferrous with Equinox are the negative numbers and zero. And for now at least I do not trust even zero and the first few negative numbers to always be ferrous in highly mineralized ground.

minelab-equinox-basic-target-id-scale.jpg

More on the subject - Tune Out Nails - You Will Miss Gold!

Tin, Bolts, Washers, And Other Ferrous Items That Read As Non-Ferrous

Adjustable Tone Break

Metal Detector Discrimination Really Sucks

Metal Detectors With Reliable Target ID Numbers

Discriminate, Discriminate, Discriminate!

ferrous-non-ferrous-overlap-range-metal-detector.jpg

Garrett AT Pro Overlap Range - Note that although 40 is considered the normal start of the non-ferrous range, non-ferrous items can read down to 30 or lower. Detector manufacturers imply this is only tiny foil or gold, but it can also be any larger items at borderline depths. It is not so much what the size or composition of the target is, but the signal strength that the detector has to work with. Weak targets plus highly mineralized ground means any item can be identified as ferrous at borderline depths.

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Mick93
      We do like Steve,  wife sold her nox 800 just before 3 years and ordered her new one. Showed up today and she was all excited ,put it together, charged up ready to try it out. Well the on/off switch wouldn't work!  She was a little disappointed but Minelab said send it in, so off it went !
    • By Jeff McClendon
      I have been suffering from plantar fasciitis and torn ligaments in my left ankle for about 6 months. The plantar fasciitis has cleared up on its own. The torn ligaments have not yet healed so hunting with a dig it all approach just hasn't been possible since last March. Walking is iffy enough, but lots of getting up and down is very painful. So, I have had to limit myself to shorter outings and lots of cherry picking.
      I tried an experiment using the F2 iron bias feature during my recovery for some of the parks I hunt that have high iron mineralization. I used Park 1 and Park 2 with F2=4 and just concentrated on obvious no brainer signals. Deep or shallow didn't concern me, just the quality of the response. I hunted with both zero discrimination and with half of the iron range rejected = -9 to -6. My target recovery of deeper low to mid conductive targets pretty much ceased to exist during this time.......deeper silver jewelry and coins along with any depth of higher conductive US modern coins (wheats, copper memorials, clad dimes and quarters, Kennedy halves and modern "gold" President and Sacajawea dollars) was seemingly not effected.
      Today, I hunted an exact area that I had hunted a month ago with those settings except that I hunted with F2=0 and dug every target that sounded good. I had already cleared out the higher conductive clad so none was found. I tested every low to mid conductor target from +6 to +22 (the gold and small silver jewelry range) that sounded decent using F2=0, and then switched to F2=4 and F2=9 before I dug the targets. All of these targets which were clear and obvious targets using F2=0 were beyond the range of my handheld FTP Tek Point pinpointer that was set on maximum which usually reaches coin sized targets down to 3.5 to 4" in this park. All of the targets in the photo except for the first two modern pull-tabs (bright silver and red surface finds) were recovered at deeper than 4". Some were as much as 8". They all sounded very good with repeatable signals in all four swing directions (+), and had dig me gold range numbers using F2=0. Using F2=4, all of these targets were iffy at best and the deeper ones sounded mostly like iron. Using F2=9, all of these targets were mostly iron with just a hint of low to mid conductor tones and corresponding numbers. 
      It is no wonder that I previously walked right over these targets since I had limited myself to digging only excellent sounding targets due to my injury. Even if I wasn't injured, I am not sure that I would have dug these using F2=4. No way using F2=9.
      Two of the nickels are fairly old for the Denver area, a 1949 and a 1960. Both were 8" deep and sounded very good using F2=0. The big stainless steel ring (+8) and the Avon gold plated junker (+14) were 6" deep and sounded fantastic with F2=0. The two .925 small silver jewelry items (+22) sounded great using F2=0 and were 5" deep.
      So, in higher iron mineralization, are my results an outlier or is using F2 iron bias above zero just too agressive on low and mid conductor non-ferrous targets? Comments, disagreements and Pooh Poohing are welcome.

• By Dan(NM)
      I hunt really trashy parks and hardly ever go after nickels because my time is limited.  I'm going to notch in 12-13 on my next hunt due to amount of wheats and silver I've been taking out of 2 places I've hit this past month. Have you found the Nox the hit nickels in this range at depth, I'm talking 7-9" depth, that's where most of the keepers are being found, thanks.
    • By nwdetectorist
      Blank Sheet for Recording Custom Settings for my Nox 800

OK, Ok; back in the day of my XLT Spectrum...
      ...I had a notebook full of custom settings for my records.

Now I can convert (scan and save as) to Word Document or Adobe Acrobat to save and carry with my Smart Phone.

Problem is, I cannot seem to find a sheet to copy online.
      I know I could create my own, but...

HELP!

Started a list to see if I have the settings in the right order.
      Does anyone have suggestions and/or corrections for the following list.
      OK; what order for the Equinox Settings Sheet???
      1. What preset program to start with
      2. How many tones; 2, 5, 50
      3. Ground balance setting and/or auto balance
      4. Setup accept/reject notches for your hunt site or hunt style
      5. Select Volume for each tone region
      6. Select Tone Pitch for each tone region
      7. Set tone break, preferably at 1
      8. Set recovery speed for conditions or accept default
      9. Run Noise Cancel
      10. etc. etc. etc.
      what am I forgetting
    • By aerospace guy
      I bought these headphones and used them in the ocean last week in the Kauai (up to my neck).The dealer is always busy or on a trip so I thought I'd throw this out there to get some feedback. I had a few instances where the audio cut out completely and I jiggled the cord and it came back. My question is, should the end of the headphone cord have an o-ring like a lot of my scuba equipment does? The EQ800 still seems to work fine so I don't believe any water made it's way inside detector.
                         As to my success ..well let's just say I understand why my dealer goes to Cancun for his jewelry hunts and not where I went where the waves are 3,4,5 feet. I quickly looked for beaches with "breakwaters" that you can safely take children to and I did find lots of coins and 1 silver diamond ring..but man, it was still 'surgey' as heck and not easy to lift one foot up to push scoop into sand while keeping your balance! Anyone have any experience in using the EQ in the ocean? I saw online sand scoops with a "cross" handle (like on a small shovel) where when you scoop you can keep the scoop from twisting sideways...thoughts..usage?The scoop handle would have to be a "breakdown" type to be able to pack for air travel. The scoop I took has a straight shaft that easily turns sideways when scooping.
    • By schoolofhardNox
      So, my beach season hunting has officially started. I was going to shoot for two days hunting but a wash out on Thursday made me change some plans. I had reserved Thursday for the GPX 6000 and the 14” DD coil, but had to settle for trying the 6000, 5000 and Equinox on Friday. I changed beach locations too and ended up at the less EMI beach for the day. Started out using the GPX 5000 for clearing out some of the recently deposited junk in an area that has produced silver before. I thought the storms that ripped through the previous day would remove some sand, but it was just the opposite…. sand deposited along 3/4 of the beach (top to bottom). Also, high tide reach to the highest point of the beach, so I could only hunt where the waves did not constantly reach up top. The 5000 did well considering the beach was really sanded in and gave me my first silver of the season – a 1955 Washington quarter. The rest was clad, but for 2 copper pennies. Some junk jewelry, and maybe some iron shot or just a ball bearing, - it measured .75 caliber. The big spoon was found at 20” and I thought I was going to get a beer can or some big iron, so that was a nice surprise. Hunted with the 5000 for 6 hours and decided I cleared enough to try the 6000 in that spot. The EMI was a bit more than usual but not really bad. I’m still not sold on that 14” coil. I tried both ground settings, as well as both Salt mode and EMI mode. I tried auto, auto +, manual (full) and manual (setting 1) and some in between. I just could not get the 6000  to not false on the sand. It was partially damp, as high tide receded a while ago, but with a sensitivity of 1, I would have expected a smooth clean machine. IDK maybe the coil is not good. I did not bring the 11” mono as I really wanted to see if the salt mode would work on the 14” DD. Being a bit disappointed, and after trying all combinations of settings, I called it after around 10 minutes. So, the tide was getting as low as it was going to be, so I hunted for 3 hours with the Equinox and traded my spade for my scoop. I didn’t use the Nox much last season as the 5000 was killing the silver, so the Nox sat idle. But I wanted to see if the heavy waves dropped anything on the beach along with all that sand. There weren’t many targets, so I dug everything to get a feel for all the numbers. The hairpins and tiny wire all read a steady -2, -3. The Nox did well for the short time I used it and if I wasn’t beat from the hunt, I would have stayed in the area that was producing some coins. It was the best machine for the day to give me a chance at some gold. It felt really, really good to get out and just walk the beach. Next week all 3 machines will be at the crazy EMI beach. I will have the mono coin and the DD to see if this beach (dry sand) will be ok for the 14” coil. Can’t wait!!!