Epic Day For My Brother, Well Earned Too.

Most of you do not know the history of metal detecting and my family.  We go back to the early 1970's, my dad, uncle, 1 cousin and I all were pretty avid TH'ers back then.  In the 80's and 90's we took it to a new level and started concentrating more on older sites and doing research.  Our old coin finds were better with a few Barbers and Seated Liberty silvers.  The gold coin had still eluded us for all those yrs.  We knew it was just a matter of time.  Anyway about 20 yrs ago, my little brother started getting serious with detectors and making some nice finds.  It was about 20 years ago when the McMullen clan broke the gold coin barrier (it was me) with an 1852 $2.50 piece found in OR.  Then about 10 years ago on 4th of July I was greedy and hit another (my 2nd) GC of the clan.  My relatives and family started getting a little jealous and well deserving.  Especially my little brother who happened to be on that trip with me when I hit #2, It was a 1902 $5 found here in Idaho.

Well last week I was with my brother in OR and his Equinox put a smile on his face in more ways than 1.

Not only did he find a gold coin, but also a Barber and Seated Liberty Half.  Me, I managed to find a clad dime, which is the 1st modern coin that I know of to come from this site.  He does not do much with forums, but did say I could mention them and share the pics.  I wanted to let him have his glory and then after a few days I'd share.

Here is his 1839 $5, 1907 Barber Half and 1877 Seated Half.  And you know what?  I honestly was a little jealous for about a minute and then I realize his tears were real.  I then became the proud big brother of another gold coin find for the McMullen clan.  I'm so proud of this guy for continuing to go and just keeps on swinging.  Now that I think back, it was meant to be and I was able to be there and share the precious moment with him.

TvEQG1.jpg

TvEQG5.jpg

TvEQG3.jpg

TvEQG4.jpg

TvEQG6.jpg

TvEQG7.jpg

TvEQG8.jpg

TvEQG2.jpg

Freaking fantastic!

Fantastic hunt, great story, and beautiful pictures.

Congratulations on the find.

Awesome finds!  That $5 is an early one, darn near a Classic Head and a first year Liberty Head!  Interesting array of coin types and date ranges, fricking awesome, congrats to your family legacy and your bro for his killer finds!

Congrats to your brother on finding his first gold coin, hopefully many more to come. I and my Dad (96 years young) have yet to find our first gold coin. My wife found a 1899S $5.00 gold coin on a club outing to a ghost town several years ago, maybe this year it will happen.

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

With the 6" coil too, that ground in the background looks intimidating with the little 6" coil.  So much ground, so little coil 🙂

Great job, nice looking coil too. 

You are correct for most hunting.  He started out with the stock 11" and found a few coins in the area a couple days before.  Nothing was over 3 to 4" deep, so when we went back I realized a slower sweep in the area with a small coin might pull something else.  Well these 3 coins were not in the exact same spot, but still very close.  Also, the small coil gets in the bushes easier too.

Thats wonderful Gerry...it's amazing that there are still great finds like these to be had...two half dollars and a gold coin in one day...was it a virgin spot? or were you guys just expanding around an old spot you have detected before? After Goldbricks amazing find a few weeks ago I've become optimistic that anything is possible.

strick

On 2/24/2020 at 8:21 AM, strick said:

Thats wonderful Gerry...it's amazing that there are still great finds like these to be had...two half dollars and a gold coin in one day...was it a virgin spot? or were you guys just expanding around an old spot you have detected before? After Goldbricks amazing find a few weeks ago I've become optimistic that anything is possible.

strick

We were expanding from the gold camp and he just happened to go down hill and I went up.  Yes, anything is possible.