What Can The Impulse AQ Do?

I think this topic needs to be lightened a bit .... the price of the detector is one thing ...- which should express the possibilities of the detector ...

I would be interested ... if Mr. LEJAG ..., ... Geotech-Carl Moreland, and other members of the Manta-ImpulseAQ project ... or the Tester who is currently testing IMpulse AQ could write something about the possibilities of the Impulse AQ detector.

lately, all the comments revolve around the beginning of production or prices .... let's talk more about what this detector can bring to the world of detection ..

In any such project, positive thinking is important both on the part of the designers .... as well as on the part of potential people interested in this PI detector.

fisher-impulse-aq-discriminating-pulse-induction-jewelry-metal-detector.jpg
Fisher Impulse AQ metal detector

All I need is depth on a gold ring that is clearly as good or better than that delivered by a TDI Beachhunter or Garrett ATX and I’ll be happy. Can’t be a step backwards. Be best if it was better than either, and not in a way that is debatable. I hate those hair splitting videos where people say they think that maybe if they listen hard enough they can tell a difference. It would be good to see this detector find a ring the other two detectors can not find at all. Pure, simple, this detector can find this, these detectors can not.

I am sure we will see videos and depth comparisons and such as soon as Fisher starts putting some of these in users hands. Right now all we really have is one mystery user.

• 3 years later...
On 6/1/2020 at 7:17 AM, Steve Herschbach said:

All I need is depth on a gold ring that is clearly as good or better than that delivered by a TDI Beachhunter or Garrett ATX and I’ll be happy. Can’t be a step backwards. Be best if it was better than either, and not in a way that is debatable. I hate those hair splitting videos where people say they think that maybe if they listen hard enough they can tell a difference. It would be good to see this detector find a ring the other two detectors can not find at all. Pure, simple, this detector can find this, these detectors can not.

I am sure we will see videos and depth comparisons and such as soon as Fisher starts putting some of these in users hands. Right now all we really have is one mystery user.

Steve, looking back through old posts.So whats the deal with Fisher Impulse AQ? Fancy video of the AQ.  I'd like to see what Fisher can bring to the table. 

RiverRat

I'm with Steve, all I care about is deep. The rest of the opps on the AQ, "Tones, Mute, and Volcanic sand"  I have no use for them.

I'm out of the loop as far as a connection to Fisher and testing the AQ, Not heard a word from them in over a year. Is the project still alive? No clue here, one reason I purchased a second unit. I've seen this in the past with PI's, a very limited production, than you never hear a word and they become as rare as hens teeth..

I do have tons of videos' and pictures of the AQ,........ with only one side by side video comparing the AQ to a TDI BH with the upgraded 16.8 volt, 4 cell battery pack. Not the best video for I had no assistance but it was enough to convince me, that where I hunt the AQ has no problem seeing deeper than the TDI BH by 3+ inches on average.

I hope the project is still progressing.

Hi Joe, 

Thanks for the input. I'm very interested to see what garrett does with this. Hopefully the silence from Fisher means that they're  taking the time after beta testing  to fine tune it.

I bought a 2nd hand GB 2 in pristine condition with both coils for half the retail price, and bought a GPX 4800 "yeah, I know, the bastard child" also at a great price. Both are great units. I borrowed a TDI from a friend before I got the GPX. I compared the two and frankly the GPX is way better.

I'm just curious at this point how the Impulse AQ does at depth and whether it can detect small nuggets like my GB 2 without having to switch it to fine gold.

RiverRat

2 hours ago, RiverRat said:

Hi Joe, 

Thanks for the input. I'm very interested to see what garrett does with this. Hopefully the silence from Fisher means that they're  taking the time after beta testing  to fine tune it.

I bought a 2nd hand GB 2 in pristine condition with both coils for half the retail price, and bought a GPX 4800 "yeah, I know, the bastard child" also at a great price. Both are great units. I borrowed a TDI from a friend before I got the GPX. I compared the two and frankly the GPX is way better.

I'm just curious at this point how the Impulse AQ does at depth and whether it can detect small nuggets like my GB 2 without having to switch it to fine gold.

RiverRat

Not sure what you meant by "interested to see what garrett does with this".  They've already answered that with the Axiom...unless you meant to type "Fisher".

Impulse AQ is a beach/water machine only.  Because it is designed with salt cancellation, you can't balance it on land in its present form you and therefore can't use it for land-based nugget hunting.  Fisher hinted at making a Gold hunting land variant but it appears the whole effort has just died.  The last gasp was them trying to sell off whatever inventory they had of the pre-production special edition Impulse AQ units they still had lying around.   Joe OBN above was doing a lot of the work for them addressing shortcomings in their battery design and battery mount design with his own hacks.  As you can tell, he loves the pure raw power and performance of the machine but they have gone radio silent on it.  I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for anything else to come of this.

11 hours ago, RiverRat said:

The AQ is completely useless in the goldfields, almost stunningly so given how well it works at the beach. I thought it might work in the fairly moderate salt ground in the northern Nevada gold locations, and found it banged relentlessly on hot rocks. It has no actual adjustable ground balance, the GB being preset as a crude discrimination system instead. The only way I could make it work was in black sand mode with long pulse delay and low sensitivity, which basically neutered it on gold nuggets. Long story short I'd rather use any decent VLF as being better, and any nugget PI made, even the Infinium and TDI, blow away the AQ for gold nugget hunting. The hoped for Impulse Gold to this day remains a dream unrealized that may or may not ever see the light of day. It appears Fisher simply abandoned the AQ series entirely to move on to a newer digital model, one that hopefully takes the various failures of the AQ into account. But even that has been in the works for years so who knows when and if it will be a reality.......

I'm about to break my New Year resolution already which was to not discuss the Fisher AQ anymore....but.....can't Fisher simply make a statement regarding the AQ platform and what its future is (or isn't). I mean how many years have passed now since it was launched with all the fanfare and "ground breaking technology". I find the "radio silence" kind of insulting to the many people who have bought Fisher products and supported the company over several decades. Anyhow that's just my 2c worth $2000 worth.