Big Cigar Band..18k...15.6 Grams Size (us) 8 ...19 Plus Inch's

1 hour ago, kac said:

Would it make a difference if the nickel was actually buried rather than in an open piece of pvc?

I was wondering the same thing. I would think having the metal target in contact with the wet sand would affect the conductivity. Especially if it were saltwater sand.

11 hours ago, kac said:

Would it make a difference if the nickel was actually buried rather than in an open piece of pvc?

Be careful with VLFs and Multifrequencies, they have a tendency to ring above the tube, it seems that the hole in the ground affects the phase shift.

With the IMPULSE AQ, I did not see any significant differences, I would say no more than + or - 0.5'' at 18''.

For the IMPULSE AQ the tests in the air are unfavorable compared to the tests in the wet sand. In general there is 2'' or 3'' more at 18''.

You can see here : 

Maybe not that much of a difference due to the tube size but actually buried target to me makes more sense or at least more convincing.

Regardless it doesn't take away from the raw depth that is impressive.

OBN or Steve, Love these first reports- thanks! When possible could you please do a test with gold chains? I am thinking that the AQ with its 7us pulse delay should detect gold chains- at least larger ones. I don't believe that most PI detectors will "see" gold chains (my Dual Field with its 15us wouldn't). The Beachhunter with its 10us does detect larger gold chains. 

27 minutes ago, Compass said:

OBN or Steve, Love these first reports- thanks! When possible could you please do a test with gold chains? I am thinking that the AQ with its 7us pulse delay should detect gold chains- at least larger ones. I don't believe that most PI detectors will "see" gold chains (my Dual Field with its 15us wouldn't). The Beachhunter with its 10us does detect larger gold chains. 

Sorry to say that is it's only weak point..And that's for me, I have yet to set down and play with the settings to see if I can pull them in...It will get the larger chains...7 gram but the less then 2 grams chains, I've not been able to tune in on them. I know we have some heavy duty Pro PI hunters getting there machine soon....So I think in a few weeks we will be hearing a lot more.

I have tested just about everything possible but some one did ask the other day on a small white gold ring so I'll have to go thru and find one from the treasure chest..

21chain.jpg

21c.jpg

Thanks for the quick response OBN. 7 grams is not a bad sized chain- I don't know if any other pulse machine could detect a gold chain that size. 

11 hours ago, Compass said:

Thanks for the quick response OBN. 7 grams is not a bad sized chain- I don't know if any other pulse machine could detect a gold chain that size. 

Years ago I used a 5000 with an 11" Commander coil on the beaches for about a year.  One of my best finds was a chain with a diamond.  There is a story to go with it but basically I heard something in the damp sand where the high tide had been so I went to dig it at night.  I dug and dug and couldn't find it.  Then in one of my dig out piles I saw a glimmer and it was a fine gold chain with a diamond (about a carat) hanging from it.  The only part of the 'chain' I could get the 5000 to see was the setting holding the diamond.  Other chains I have seen the clasps.

Thanks Mn90403, You got me there- I wasn't thinking about pulse detectors used primarily for prospecting. I think I've only seen one of those on my local beaches. Sounds like it is still challenging even with them.

There is a salt setting on the 5000.  I was digging everything and eventually got tired of the bobby pins and got VLFs since then.  Funny thing about all of that is now with my 800 I'll 'enjoy' digging a bobby pin at 4-5 inches in all metal because every once in a while a -2 turns into something else!  I expect the same with the AQ unless there are so many missed rings on our beaches that I won't stop for anything other than round sounds.

On 6/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, tvr said:

Always great videos OBN.

Two things I can think of that I would like to see:

1) A test with the same set up shown in the video but with an arrangement of nails on the surface similar to Monte's nail board test. With the gold ring at some depth, can it be detected through the nail field without just all metal detecting the nails too? I've seen the videos of nails placed on top of a ring and it being detected clearly, but that is not what I'm looking to discover.

2) I spend the great majority of beach hunting in all metal, and when there is iron in the area, I like to have an easy switch to do an iron check on the target. Most places when in the water, the switch has to be done blindly, you know how that is! With the AQ, what mode would be the best to do a quick check against all metal response; and would you like that as an easy push button or toggle feature?

OK so it was really three questions.

Good to see there is more information coming out.

Thanks TVR.....

I'll try and give that a shot but more then likely I'll use some thing like pictured..our favorite..Crab pot pieces. I did a little concentrated dig just to captures these specimens. I did notice that most of the time they are not so bunched together as I was collecting. SO I may thin them out after I have did a gold ring test. Then retest.... Several have asked the same question. 

On question two, Yes..I love my push button on my Excalibur, quick and effective. Would be nice to have that option on the "AQ" but I don't see that possible until the "AQ" Warranty runs out and even then I will let that though rest I believe. Me I would say mute on which one to switch too but  tones is another option. Since it next to AM..

21t.jpg