What are you AQ guys/gals using to protect your coil bottoms with?, marine epoxy?  By the way what does a new replacement coil cost? GaryC/Oregon Coast

I would not expect any type of epoxy to hold up very well. It's got to be plastic. I zip tied a frisbee to the coil of my CZ20 and that worked pretty well.

7 hours ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

What are you AQ guys/gals using to protect your coil bottoms with?, marine epoxy?  By the way what does a new replacement coil cost? GaryC/Oregon Coast

I'm using an AQ coil cover to protect mine, fits like a glove!

3 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

I would not expect any type of epoxy to hold up very well. It's got to be plastic. I zip tied a frisbee to the coil of my CZ20 and that worked pretty well.

I find marine epoxy to hold up beyond well. Once coated, maybe a slight touch-up yearly. 

I should add that I am a coil scrubber. My coil stays glued to the beach. 

58 minutes ago, midalake said:

I find marine epoxy to hold up beyond well. Once coated, maybe a slight touch-up yearly. 

I should add that I am a coil scrubber. My coil stays glued to the beach. 

It's pretty much the same stuff that the coil is filled with. All you are doing is making the bottom a bit thicker and ruining the resale value at the same time.

I'm a scrubber too. Sand isn't very abrasive. If all I hunted was sand, I wouldn't even bother with a cover. The problem we have on our beaches is rocks. Rocks can chew up a coil pretty quickly.

18 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

It's pretty much the same stuff that the coil is filled with. All you are doing is making the bottom a bit thicker and ruining the resale value at the same time.

I'm a scrubber too. Sand isn't very abrasive. The problem we have on our beaches is rocks. Rocks can chew up a coil pretty quickly.

First off I am not ruining the resale value🙄

Secondly the coating of epoxy is not as thick of a space as a coil cover. 

Thirdly there is not a coil cover I have not been able to use as well after coating.

Fourthly by keeping the coil cover off I am assured there will be no infiltration of any black sand to disrupt the detector.  I have seen enough build up in just 1 hr of detecting to cause machine problems. 

I will say I don't bounce off rocky beaches regularly and I am sure there are rock conditions that may affect the epoxy. However I personally have not found any. 

Remember years ago I sold one of my sovereigns. I have been running epoxy so long that I never mentioned to this buyer the coil was coated. He read me the riot act up one side and down the other on "how I ruined the coil"  and I "owe him".

After calming him down and explaining the "whys" I assured him if the coil did not preform I would flat out send him a new coil. Two months go by I contacted him. He thanked me profusely on how everything worked and the fact he never had to take the coil cover off every trip to clean it!!!!!  

Dave 

That's fine that you feel that way. I just prefer covers over coatings.

2 minutes ago, cdv said:

Coil cover a special order ?  Got my machine about 2 weeks ago and didn't get one. 

That’s because they do not make one, which is why people are discussing alternatives. Nor is there a price for replacement coils yet. But threads like this may change both items.

3 hours ago, Slimpickuns said:

I'm using an AQ coil cover to protect mine, fits like a glove!

33 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That’s because they do not make one, which is why people are discussing alternatives. Nor is there a price for replacement coils yet. But threads like this may change both items.

I was just asking because of the above post Steve......

Cliff