Mystery solved. The customer in question asked for 2 coil covers as part of his order. Since they had a couple of prototype covers available - they were shipped. Production coil covers are not yet available.

My apologies for not clearing this up sooner!!

I'm a sand scrubber myself so I like using a coil cover even If it does add a little weight...Here's what I use to keep sand/water from penetrating under the coil cover, just run a small bead of this stuff along the open edges and let it cure...

20201008_155556.jpg

I've used marine epoxy on coils with great success. My only question is...

Does using marine epoxy void the warranty? Unless I heard it directly from FT or Rick, I would not use it.

52 minutes ago, Slimpickuns said:

I'm a sand scrubber myself so I like using a coil cover even If it does add a little weight...Here's what I use to keep sand/water from penetrating under the coil cover, just run a small bead of this stuff along the open edges and let it cure...

20201008_155556.jpg

I've done that also and it works.  👍

I was going thru a couple of coils with the Xcal...... and other machines for beach use a year.   I wear the heck out of a coil cover.   I use LocTite Marine Epoxy....its white so i can tell where the wear is and like was said..... i can put more on as needed.  You can spread it on once mixed with your finger and it dont run all over the place.  Its like 3700 psi strong.   I dont believe anyone would find this a reason not to buy on a resale.   The non-tranferrable warranty would be more likely.

a disc guard is useless on impulse
the resin is very strong
and as a general rule, disc protectors should be avoided
on a beach finder
or stick them and make them waterproof

salt and sand passing between the coil and protecting it
screen and make you lose performance ...

I'll definitely be wanting a coil cover. There is no resin on earth that will hold up to the rocky beaches I hunt. I hope when they design it that they make it easy to remove for cleaning.

8 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

I was going thru a couple of coils with the Xcal...... and other machines for beach use a year.   I wear the heck out of a coil cover.   I use LocTite Marine Epoxy....its white so i can tell where the wear is and like was said..... i can put more on as needed.  You can spread it on once mixed with your finger and it dont run all over the place.  Its like 3700 psi strong.   I dont believe anyone would find this a reason not to buy on a resale.   The non-tranferrable warranty would be more likely.

I want to be clear. When my Equinox coil ears broke my coil was epoxied and brace supports filled with caulk.

Minelab never questioned. I was sent a new coil.  

Dave

On 10/9/2020 at 7:49 AM, LE.JAG said:

a disc guard is useless on impulse
the resin is very strong
and as a general rule, disc protectors should be avoided
on a beach finder
or stick them and make them waterproof

salt and sand passing between the coil and protecting it
screen and make you lose performance ...

I agree whole heartedly. The potting material used is hard as nails and should be no problem, even for rocky beaches. That is unless you swing your coil like a pendulum and bang the hell out of those rocks 😂. I never have used the covers. I have friends who spray truck bed liner ( no metal ) on theirs though with much success. For me though just a waste.