Detectorist Finds $1 Gold Coin With XP Deus

Steve Herschbach

This is something you do not see very often, a $1 gold coin found metal detecting. A lot of traditional coin hunters would pass on something like this because it gets identified more as trash (it reads as foil) than a coin. Lots of $1 gold coins were lost but few are ever found. A good example of what digging all non-ferrous targets can accomplish in the right locations. Great find, one I would be thrilled to make. Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

• Like 3

Nice find! I know of 2 more $1 gold coins found with the Deus...Kevin B and Wayne (micheganrelichunter) from Toms forum, both found one too.

Your poster mentions the vdi...but to me on the Deus, that doesnt mean much. I bet it was the "sweet" tone, or 'round' sound it gave, that made his decision to dig...or because he got a nonferrous signal in a beat to death camp,lol.

The Deus really does have a very conveying audio, for a digital machine. Mine arrived last week, hoping to get out soon, but mother nature does not look cooperative.

• Like 2

I was surprised to see the air test VDI so high in 12 khz. Like Steve I always thought a $1 gold coin would read as foil, 40's maybe up into the low 50's in 18 khz(my favorite Deus freq). But 62 in 12 khz? I like it because the cherry pickers will never see it there by increasing my chances of finding one of these coins.

I have no idea how the air test was done so I also question the air test result but I have seen other places say a $1 gold could read into the nickel range? No matter, it is a great find.

Since I get my hands on so many detectors I am going to get back on a project started many years ago - a cross model VDI reference. I will put up the basics, which will be a lot, and then people can contribute to fill in the gaps with different models. Should be fun and informative. And we will get a firm answer on the $1 gold VDI.

A little more Googling and multiple sources report the $1 gold coin will air test in foil range. So there was probably some issue with how the air test was performed in this case.

• Like 1

just imagine how many of the small change gold coins are waiting, they would certainly read as foil.  The beauty of old camps is that they are not usually infested with aluminum junk. Aluminum was not a common material in the 1800s or early 1900s...my point being that digging all nonferrous targets could produce some real nice coins.

fred

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_coin_(United_States)#Gold_dollar_coins_.281849.E2.80.931889.29

The gold dollar was produced from 1849 to 1889. 1849 to 1853 gold dollar coins were 13 mm across and are called Type I. Type II gold dollars were thinner but larger at 15 mm diameter and were produced from 1854 to 1855. The most common gold dollar are the Type III and started in 1856 until 1889. Composed of 90% pure gold, it was the smallest denomination of gold currency ever produced by the United States federal government. Because of the high value of gold, the gold dollar is the smallest coin in the history of US coinage.

post-1-0-83563300-1450202977_thumb.jpeg

" A series of fractional denomination gold coins was privately minted from 1852 to 1882. These tiny gold coins tried to meet the huge demand for small change in a booming economy. Mostly issued by San Francisco area jewelers, these coins were struck in 25 cent, 50 cent and one-dollar denominations in round or octagonal shapes. "

I have seen these at gold shows or coin shows...don't know how many were minted but they would be easy for a drunk miner to lose...

fred

Here is an interesting video of in-ground testing of gold coins with a few different machines.

• Like 1