Weed Wack'n For Some Treasure

Yesterday was HOT, But I decided to hit a shady spot that has produced some good stuff. I decided to bring the line trimmer and mow down an area around some tree's that I found a nice barber on. So after an hour of trimming I was happy I could detect under the 3 foot tall grass. My first good signal was a nickle (buffie) next was a wheatie, Not bad for my efforts. The spot is next to a willow tree by an old pond/swimming hole. After collecting a few more nickles and pennies (not looking closely to what I dug) I found what I think might be a carpenter's compass (Total Guess), It's made of copper and was around 10'' deep. Next was a thimble and a kerosene lamp burner. One more signal and out comes a lead button. Well I was hotter than hot and called it a day. When I got home to look at my rather mundane finds I realized I tripped up on Two liberty head nickles (1912 and 1895), a 1907 indian head penny, and two wheatie's 1920 and a no date. , And two no date buffies. This place has yielded stuff from colonial to the 19th century and I'm going to bring the trimmer back to clean up some more spots on the property, Not only for me but to pay back the owner for the permission. Anyone who can help with the ID on the my best guess carpenter compass I welcome the help.

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

Love me some good relics-n-coins. 👍 Old lamp parts are loud hits.

Can you do a pic of the dividers (compass) standalone on a piece of paper or something?

Here ya go F350, It's a strange one to me. The ends seem to be broken at the same place, What are the chances of that??? I've looked at sugar nippers, compass's, dividers and even a nut cracker Ha Ha  Never dug anything remotely close. 

IMG_2247.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

That was a great hunt.

I think I might have some old coins in the back of my yard, along the neighbors yards and around my steps and trees so feel free to weed wack them 🙂

Looks like some sort of tongs.

Could be scale arms? Looking at the size they are too short to be tongs unless you want roasty finger tips.

26 minutes ago, kac said:

Could be scale arms? Looking at the size they are too short to be tongs unless you want roasty finger tips.

This is a good guess, could be that the single blade was a point for some sort of centerline. Weighing stuff was very common.

All I got with Lens was bows and stuff. 😵

Looks like the center where they hung from and unfolded from is snapped off.