Diggin' The Campground (update)

What you have can't be that bad with target wrapping (when id's go past the upper limit and start coming in at the lower end in iron range) because of all the bloody quarters you found lol.

I was just curious since your the only one I know that has both the 5x10 and stock coil. My only work around with the Kruzer is if I hit a lot of iron in an area is to drop to 5khz and check those targets again and see if they still have the same id's. Just from my fiddling. Apex bit less of an issue and only machine that handles that better with a dd that I happen to have.

Did you try the test yet? If so and started to hear iron did you try the lower khz in single frequency?

• Like 2

On 9/29/2021 at 7:55 PM, F350Platinum said:

14 nickels... An odd 2000 that is all copper.

Does it ID between dimes and quarters?  Or has it been plated?  Can you show us a closeup photo??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kac said:

What you have can't be that bad with target wrapping (when id's go past the upper limit and start coming in at the lower end in iron range) because of all the bloody quarters you found lol.

I was just curious since your the only one I know that has both the 5x10 and stock coil. My only work around with the Kruzer is if I hit a lot of iron in an area is to drop to 5khz and check those targets again and see if they still have the same id's. Just from my fiddling. Apex bit less of an issue and only machine that handles that better with a dd that I happen to have.

Did you try the test yet? If so and started to hear iron did you try the lower khz in single frequency?

I'll try this tomorrow or very soon and let y'all know. 🙂

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Does it ID between dimes and quarters?  Or has it been plated?  Can you show us a closeup photo??

It ID's from 11 to 14, depending how close you get to it. I think it was 11/12 when I found it, it was strange so I dug.20210930_221748.thumb.jpg.fa5360b0c608f08217233d01c1568bc4.jpg

I researched it, and only saw a couple posts on other MD websites, apparently 2000 D nickels similar to this one have been found. This is how it came out of the ground, I have not cleaned it other than to rub it on a towel. Aren't newer nickels just nickel plated copper? Maybe a ground chemical was introduced that removed the plating.

20210930_221801.jpg

• Like 2

Seen a few like that here and even some silver clad in rusty color. Mostly found in a nearby school yard that was build on some swampy land that has a ton of natural iron in it. If you dig down about a foot or so you get rusty looking water bubbling up. Nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Red/orange looking modern clad is something I find almost weekly. Usually a third of the clad I have to clean before depositing in the bank is either orange, copperish red or brown. It comes off in my tumbler. You have some reddish orange quarters in your earlier photo from the same area.

There have been some Philadelphia Mint error 2000 nickels that were accidentally made on a copper penny sized planchet. I don't know of any Denver Mint errors like that for the 2000 nickels. Those Philadelphia Mint error nickels are worth quite a bit of money for collectors.

DSCN0118.jpeg

• Like 3

Your supposed to make the coins pretty, before they go to the bank!!? Whoops!!🤣👍👍 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Your supposed to make the coins pretty, before they go to the bank!!? Whoops!!🤣👍👍 

My neighborhood bank would be pretty mad at me if the $700 or so of clad I usually deposit each year was dirty orange, crusty and gross. They have their own coin sorting machine. They don’t accept coins in rolls so I can’t hide the dirty ones inside a roll.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2