Warmed up nicely here in VA, they're calling it "meteorological spring", yeah right. Sure as you're born were gonna get one more snowstorm, hopefully I'll be in Savannah when it comes. 🙄

Working on getting the RV ready for its shakedown trip next month, but I managed to get out twice this week.

20220301_091156.thumb.jpg.27d88b8181594961f37ac39574b1aa3b.jpg

First outing was Tuesday at the colonial farm I've been hunting, so much to choose from here but I decided to hunt a spot where the finds could be very old, or not. It's only about 4 acres of a much bigger field that I divide by telephone poles. Didn't do too bad, got a buffalo nickel, some old wheats, and the best tiny colonial button I've ever found. It's smaller than a dime, but was gold plated:20220301_200642.thumb.jpg.39ee130fa16ad85d7f611fefffe9eb74.jpg

The back has a crown and the words "Rich Gilt" on it. The letters are raised so it must have been cast.20220301_195445.thumb.jpg.1bc49fb9208d20410c7f2d632b0d59ba.jpg

There are still traces of gold plating on it.

Got a nice musket ball, a big D buckle and a couple of other really old buttons.20220303_190958.thumb.jpg.8d564696b787ab911c664c819ce52d22.jpg

Some interesting metal fragments from who knows what, one appears to be part of a stamped flower.

Today I went to an old farmhouse down the street from mine, a place that I've pounded pretty hard and found some nice silver coins. I went back over that spot with recovery speed turned down and sensitivity way up. Snagged a 1913 wheat, a 1965 dime, a memorial, and then I got a strong iron signal with just a few chirps in the 27-30 range, and the depth meter pegged. I was sorry of able to isolate the high sound but the iron kept coming over it. 

Dug down about 8-10", about the length of my Ranger shovel. I was still getting iron but there was a persistent 27. I took out my trusty (sort of) Quest Xpointer Max, and poked around the bottom of the hole until I found a non ferrous beep among all the iron.

Got this nice little relic:20220303_140946.thumb.jpg.e82fd392d5d3046436696a9a2a35dcab.jpg20220303_135544.thumb.jpg.c94c2dcd7c2ca92dbffafc6bbc479ce0.jpg20220303_141027.thumb.jpg.74ecf572c4c319d60ec9c559b231c172.jpg

it's only about the size of a dime. It was made probably in the 1920s to 1940s by the Uncas Jewelry company, here is some info:

http://danielleoliviatefftwrites.com/found-in-the-jewelry-box-blog/four-popular-uncas-rings-and-some-company-history

Not a bad week. Got to get out there, some of my permissions are about to become off limits with spring planting!

Nice week you're having.  Did the Buffie have a date+mm?

Don't let that ring close to my wife.  If she reacts anything like she does when I show her a decorative sterling ring find you'll think she's a magician.

6 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Nice week you're having.  Did the Buffie have a date+mm?

Don't let that ring close to my wife.  If she reacts anything like she does when I show her a decorative sterling ring find you'll think she's a magician.

Haha, my wife took it from me and put it on. It did fit but it's a bit bent, and cracked along a seam where it was soldered. @kac says it was made on a rolling mill, then cut and soldered.

My wife can have any of the rings I find, however this one may be returned to the landowner, as it is most likely his grandmother's. I have another silver ring I found here as well. 🙂

The buffalo is the blackest one I've found yet, the obverse is obliterated. These farms are brutal. 😵

You could solder it for her at least lol.

Contenti out of RI has silver solder, small torch should do the trick.

Button looks like it was gold plated at one time, found similar up this way.

1 minute ago, kac said:

Button looks like it was gold plated at one time, found similar up this way.

It was. These colonial guys were all over the place! 😀 It's a tiny one, probably on those leg things they wore.

6 minutes ago, kac said:

You could solder it for her at least lol.

Contenti out of RI has silver solder, small torch should do the trick.

I plan to do that, silver solder on order. 🙂

Another great hunt in the books for you.

Nice saves and the land owner might know who the ring belongs to.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Nice digs, I like the button!! 

If you dip a Q-tips in lemon juice and clean the button with it, it may well clean up very nicely with more gold gilt than may be obvious.