Playing A Hunch Turns To Silver

I decided to take my Nox with my new S-Shaft for a walk a couple of days ago to scout out a park I had been to before that used to have some houses on it between the late 1800s to 1960. The last time there I had found some wheat pennies, a WWII Army Great Seal coat button, some older looking brass suspender clips, and various other older looking artifacts. This area has some huge trees on it and when investigating I found a few of the older trees that had bed frames that had been enveloped by the trees as they grew. I figured there had to be more old items there so I decided to go back and try my luck.

Park-1.JPEG

Well I wasn't there about 10 minutes when a Parks Department truck pulled up behind me on the side walk running through the middle of the park, so I figured my luck had just run out. Then another PD truck pulled up behind him, and then another. I was looking for my quickest getaway route when another truck with a back hoe on a trailer pulled up. A couple of the Parks Dept. workers gave a wave as they exited their trucks, but most of them just ignored me and got to work. There had been two trees that had blown over during the last wind storm and the stumps were still there, so they were there to remove the stumps. I just kept detecting at a safe distance and about 30 minutes later they had pulled the stumps, loosely filled the holes with whatever dirt came off of the stumps, and left. Well no one else was around so I thought, maybe this is my lucky day.

Park-2.JPEG

Well after an hour or so of poking around the two stump holes and removing some old nails, bottle caps, and crockery, I got a few interesting signals. One was a jean button top which I don't think is too old. The next one was odd but solid 18 on the Nox and out came a square shaped pendant that says "The Deans List" on it. Well I was about to move on when I got a bouncy 22-23 coming through. I thought maybe it's a Wheatie or possibly an Indian Head penny, but what came out was an odd looking ring with one blue ball on it. I figured it was junk, but after wiping off the inside I could see "Sterling USA" stamped in it. Woohoo... Silver! I spent the next 15 minutes or so sifting the dirt for the missing ball with no luck, but It's a silver ring. I have no idea of the age but it's definitely different and I'll take it. The finds on the right side of the red line, except the crusty zincolns, are all from the stump holes. The gold looking ring which isn't stamped came from the field near the tree stumps along with the coins, the oldest of which was a 1959 Memorial penny. So while it wasn't an eath shattering day, I still got silver by being in the right place at the right time.ย  Thanks for reading.

Park-3.JPEG

Park-4.JPEG

Park-5.JPEG

What a great story and hunt! ๐Ÿ‘Nice job of opportunity.ย 

Looks like you got about 2.60 in change, a few bits o' junk, an interesting relic, and a very interesting couple of rings. ๐Ÿ™‚ I dug a gold ring similar to the one you dug, turned out to be solid 10k from acid testing. Mine had no hallmarks. Clue was it got "golder" the more I cleaned it.

Guess that's a stack of Zincolns on the top right.

Good one Cap'n!

Edit: that ring could be what is called a "toi et moi" ring, my wife called it :

https://lindseyscoggins.com/spotlight-on-toi-et-moi-rings

Bet your glad you didn't throw the detector and run like you just robbed a packy store ๐Ÿ™‚

Good run.

Nice ring. Silver has that odd yellowish/ brownish hue sometimes that makes it easier to ID in the field vs aluminum which looks too bright. That Dean's list item looks like a watch winder.

ย 

5 hours ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Nice ring. Silver has that odd yellowish/ brownish hue sometimes that makes it easier to ID in the field vs aluminum which looks too bright. That Dean's list item looks like a watch winder.

ย 

Wow, I've never found a watch winder before, I had no idea. Thanks!

Great hunt with some good finds.

Wish you good luck on your next outing.