My First Gold Coin- 1866s Quarter Eagle- XP Deus 2 Strikes First Gold!

I finally did it, I found a gold coin a few hours ago today while detecting a grassy area with my XP Deus 2 not too far distant from where people traveled by train in years past.  :biggrin:  I was using the P4 Fast program at the time but had used P1 General earlier in the day.  This place has seen use for at least 100 years and has a mix of old iron like square nails, some more modern iron, and lots of modern aluminum junk to wade through.  I've been slowly going through this place digging a lot of pulltab and zinc penny range signals in the hopes of scoring some gold jewelry.  The coin rang up at a solid "71" ID# and was about 3 inches deep and sounded loud in the square tones audio.  Thank goodness I didn't scratch it as I cut a shallow plug!

I feel fortunate to have recovered this $2.50 gold piece, as I know some of you have searched for far more years and put in a lot more effort overall than I have and not scored one yet.  It "only" took me 28 years of detecting, but it finally happened.  

Good luck to you all and happy hunting!

20220418_145844.jpg

Wow. What a score. 👍 Location, location... That is awesome. Top tier find. 🎉

Congratulations, I'm so happy for you! 28 years and job done!

Thanks everyone!

Definitely a big one on my bucket list complete.  I have the 1oz+ nugget and the gold coin goals completed now, and just the diamond ring remains!:wink:

Those of us like me that live in the western USA have the advantage in better odds for finding gold coins, not to mention natural gold nuggets, but I do envy you guys in the East, Europe, etc. who uncover really old coins and relics on a usual basis.  I'm lucky if I hit a 100 year-old coin where I live, but am fortunate to have better chances at the gold in the form of coins or nuggets at least.  

Here are some close-ups after a light rinse.  

P. S. Keep digging those pull tab signals.  Most any modern detector could have found this coin.  You just never know!

20220418_162946.jpg

20220418_162929.jpg