Your Favorite Nugget.....

oneguy

My favourite bit would just have to be this 7 grammer, detected not 100 metres from the "Welcome Stranger" discovery monument at Moliagul, Victoria.

The American "Liberty and Union" folding knife handle was detected that same day, deep in the clay just below the "Stranger" surfacing.IMG_20181004_143522.thumb.jpg.d7107d41687a6827a0f963ce44fad874.jpg

Love this one still in the hole..

Best thing is my wife got it with her 4500

74g…

5C870871-3AE7-4D64-ABFC-071D68E44765.jpeg

My favorite nugget is the one I gave away. I used to own a pay-to-mine operation at Moore Creek, Alaska. We hosted visitors from all over the world who could search our tailing piles for large gold nuggets. It was a very successful operation, and I met a lot of great people.

We had a repeat customer from Poland, Krys, really great guy. But could not find gold to save his life. Horrible coil control, often 4” or more off the ground, and no amount of coaching seemed able to change his ways. He never complained though. For him, the remote Alaska experience itself was more than enough.

I went out in the evenings and found nuggets myself, all of which is used to make sure people having no luck went home with gold. We held a planted hunt at the end of each week with the gold I found, and only those who found no gold in the week were in the hunt. Nobody ever went home without some gold.

It was like the third time Krys had visited, with no gold found yet again. I went out that evening and banged a 1.25 oz specimen piece. I wandered into camp late, and Krys and some others were sharing the huge bottles of Polish vodka he brought each year. I stood and listened a bit, and asked Krys if he had found any gold that day. He said no, with his typical cheerful smile. So I walked over and dropped that specimen in his shirt pocket, and said “here, this one found you.”

The guy was astounded and very touched. It was a very fun moment, worth far more to that specimen to me by far. It was those moments that made Moore Creek a high point in my life. We had so many people who had never found gold before make their first find there, and it really lights people up. Really good times. I think seeing a newbie find their first nugget is more fun for me now than me finding yet another nugget. It reminds me just how special what we do is, and how few people will ever get the experience of finding a real gold nugget in the wild.

Those were the days at Moore Creek. Krys was a great guy and was fun getting to know him, the last I heard he had moved back to Poland. Thanks for the memories. Also remember the time you drew names for a 2 oz. nuggett that you had found. Very generous of you Steve.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:06 PM, oneguy said:

OK everybody.... let's see your favorite nugget that YOU found with your detector.  Doesn't have to be biggest, etc. but your personal favorite?  Maybe it's your biggest, or string gold, chevron type, or some character?  Only one nugget, your favorite.  Here's mine from Notellem creek.....

12grams.JPG

That really is a beautiful nugget, nicely done!

I'll see if I can find the picture of my 1st metal detecting nugget, found with the Minelab SD 2100, still my favourite after all these years. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

4 hours ago, Denny said:

Here’s my first and only gold nugget I’ve dug up  5.1g from a city park in central California earlier this year. 

29790000-736A-4E96-9F4C-EE6327EDE2BF.jpeg

Dayum.....from a city park.  Guess gold really is "where you find it".....

3 hours ago, Lanny said:

I'll see if I can find the picture of my 1st metal detecting nugget, found with the Minelab SD 2100, still my favourite after all these years. . . .

All the best,

Lanny

Post away Lanny!!!!  Hope you are well up there?  We actually made it smoke/fire free locally until Sept hit then it all changed.  Nothing too close now except the smoke, supposed to cool down in a few days. Fingers crossed......

Take care bud.....