Steve’s 2022 Australia Adventure, Part 2

I’ll be doing a tech post on the Garrett coils after I get back Jason. They are unique in more ways than one and I want to go into detail and get it done right. We wrap up in a few days and head home so it won’t be long. In a nutshell it combines DD and concentric properties in one coil, with pluses and minuses. As always, everything in detecting is a trade off, so knowing what there coils are and what they do is important for Axiom users.

But here is most of it….

Sounds like a great trip you are having Steve, and what a great sounding detector too.  Well, so I guess the wait is on …

so in the meantime, can you guys lay low for a little bit until I get this other stupid thing fixed?! 🤣

55 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

On this location in 1980 the Hand of Faith was found, perhaps the spiritual start of the “Electronic Gold Rush”

It's good to see the Monument photo. When I saw the location back in 1980 there was not much to see. I never detected more than 2 days in Kingower but one of my mates got a 2½" flat square nugget about an ¼ " thick that weighed 11 Oz on the other side of the sealed road from the spot about ½ mile in.

My mates got about 400 ozs in about the same time period,  and 1/2 a kilometre further in, then the area was bulldozed for a bit more 

cheers daveUntitled-TrueColor-01.thumb.jpg.ac187e707722bfef1dc3e971a1b0c014.jpg

23 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

On this location in 1980 the Hand of Faith was found, perhaps the spiritual start of the “Electronic Gold Rush” https://dunollymuseumsite.wordpress.com/hand-of-faith-2/

There is conflicting info on the internet as to what detector was being used when that nugget was found.  Apparently a Garrett, but which model?  Seems appropriate that the Garrett crew made it out there to see a monument commemorating a find that cemented their place in history, too.

Well, I can’t claim it was much of a trip for gold, but I have a dozen little nuggets in the vial, and a silver 1914 six pence today for icing. The best part is I got to see a large chunk of Australia I never saw before, and had a lot of interesting interaction with the Garrett crew. It was interesting seeing novices use the Axiom on varied ground, and while the nuggets were small, everyone involved found gold nuggets. Packed up now for the long trip home, just in time to hand out candy to all the cute little kids! :smile:

My thanks to everyone in the Garrett network that made this a special and very enjoyable trip.

DC7B4217-2D02-43B3-BF8D-4C7EAE1BEA23.jpeg
Group nuggets less a couple I left out by mistake

2022-herschbach-australia-pert-two--gold-nuggets-1.18gram.jpg
My 12 bits, 1.18 g total, smallest 0.023 gram

I'm not going to retire on that gold! The well hunted public areas in Australia are well hunted indeed, giving up only scattered tiny bits for visitors. The Australian 1914 sixpence is my best find of the trip, would actually be worth more than a few bucks if it was in better condition.

On 10/27/2022 at 5:11 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s what I call the ATX style “Bullseye DD” used on Axiom. It’s not a standard DD and Garrett should have come up with their own name, since nobody else makes a coil like it. They just call it a DD, which confuses people, since it is a design all its own, and acts very little like a standard DD. The middle “hot spot” is possibly better than the mono on small gold, but only in that center area, while handling ground better than the mono.

axiom-dd-tones.jpg

Double telephone ☎️ 

Telephone coil.....but young people won't understand lol

Screenshot_20221030-175247_Chrome.jpg.d4995f22ef2311cffaf3ae863ad5f89e.jpg

Early prototype of the "telephone " ☎️  coil components. 

On 10/28/2022 at 6:26 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

On this location in 1980 the Hand of Faith was found

I was there on my Australia trip.  It was raining at the time.  I tried some spots a couple of miles away just to say I detected near there.  More 'markers' are scattered around that part of Victoria, but the nuggets weren't found with metal detectors.