4 O'clock Gold

We decided to detect the high country with the idea that we would be out of the smoke from the Trailhead fire that was burning near Foresthill.  We arrived at our destination with clean air and blue skies, yahoo!  I   started the day hunting the trashy areas with my discriminator.  After a few hours and only digging bullets, I was getting a little worried about the possibility of a skunk.  Next, I brought out the GMT.  This is my anti-skunk machine!  I detected an area that I knew had an abundant of small gold.  Again, after a few hours, nothing but hot rocks and one bird shot.  Wow, not looking good and now the smoke is beginning to fill the valleys.  I really don’t enjoy the two hour drive home when I don’t have any gold in the poke.  Finally I decided to finish the day with my 5000 and the Sadie coil.  Normally I like to hunt with a large coil, but I had left that coil in my car which was parked in Truckee.  So I detected my way down the mountain finding two nails and half a bullet, about 6" deep.  It was now 4:00pm, and time to head back up the hill when I came across an area with a lot of small quartz rocks.  I thought to myself this area looks really good.  So I began detecting the quartz and immediately I got a huge signal by a tree.  I thought to myself, must be a nail since it’s so loud.  I scraped the ground with my boot and the target moved, so I knew it should be an easy recovery and probably trash.  Well, after an embarrassing recovery that took way to long, I had a 6.9dwt quartz and gold nugget in my hand.  The nugget was basically on the surface and had two friends below it. I detected the area only to find one square nail, but I think there is definitely more gold there.  The hike up the canyon is never fun but the drive home was great and the wifee was super happy.

I whinked the gold for three days and now the nugget weights 6.3dwt, but it’s much prettier now.

Big Gold.jpg

Well written.  Thanks for sharing the story.

A hunt is not over until it is over.

Mitchel

Nice Gold :tongue: For me its either first thing or at the end of the hunt or the Skunk of course :sad: Ill take them anywhere-anyway and anytime I dont discriminate when it comes to Gold :biggrin: Mike C...:ph34r:

Aww too bad you nuked the quartz off it but it's your gold. Much better to relive the experience when it's in its natural state. But if you're selling it or mounting it must customers unfamiliar with natural gold will like it cleaned up.