Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

2 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

That's a bust ? Looks like an overflowing finds pouch from here. 😎

All that anything good mustah saw you coming ...

I take it easy with the big coil too. My elbow got too used to the little one this summer . 

Those silvers ran so fast when they saw that monster coil. I was picking up radio stations from Moscow 😆 The elbow and some other parts were sore for sure. Funny how different beaches are from each other. The silver beach has extreme EMI, while those 2 beaches have low/moderate EMI. It was quieter on the severe EMI beach. Must be the type of EMI is different.

• Like 4

That is a serious coil to swing.....I've gone back to using the Coiltek 14" DD on my GP3500. I found that the open 18" Detech DD was a little "grabby" on the sand...mainly due to having three leading edges. The flat Coiltek skims the sand nicely but can suction stick to the very wet sand. Depth is very similar between these two coils.

Happy hunting !

• Like 2

Well every hunt has something good sohN, and that pendant or earring dangle looks like a keeper even if it not precious metal. And you learned more about the giant coil and beach EMI. I would guess that silver beach has so much silver left because most other detectorists can't deal with the EMI to get any depth. 😉

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 8:34 PM, Tony said:

That is a serious coil to swing.....I've gone back to using the Coiltek 14" DD on my GP3500. I found that the open 18" Detech DD was a little "grabby" on the sand...mainly due to having three leading edges. The flat Coiltek skims the sand nicely but can suction stick to the very wet sand. Depth is very similar between these two coils.

Happy hunting !

Yeah the 17x21" coil is also grabby even when dry. I agree, get some wave action on it and then hit the dry sand and you are in real big trouble 😄. It's like swinging the weight of 2 GPX's. I am pleasantly surprised that it does give me some extra depth, but also hits harder on larger coins at medium to maximum depth. It also hits big iron at some unnecessary depths 😠. Not the most fun coil to use, but well worth it when you need a bit more.

On 12/1/2023 at 12:22 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Well every hunt has something good sohN, and that pendant or earring dangle looks like a keeper even if it not precious metal. And you learned more about the giant coil and beach EMI. I would guess that silver beach has so much silver left because most other detectorists can't deal with the EMI to get any depth. 😉

Thanks. When you are having a beggar's day, you start looking at bling like it's real 😄. I'm not complaining because without it, how could I justify a 4 hour round trip 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Beach hunt # 11 was back at the silver beach. It started out with a shallow (6”) Buffalo nickel that might have been tossed on shore from the most recent storm. That’s a great sign that there was some nice sand movement in the shallow water. But soon after that it was slow going in the hot spot area, so I ventured past it and entered another area of interest. That area was recently bulldozed upwards to keep sand from washing away during the winter months. I hit it before, and it didn’t give up much. But the recent storm must have pulled just enough sand to give me some nice silver, as well as some really deep spoons and a chunk of sheet lead. Both the square lead and the biggest spoon was at 24” I am still using the 17 x 21 SEF Butterfly coil on the GPX. It hits the deeper quarters better and for the real deep bigger items, it has a sort of elongated ghostly sound. Hard to pinpoint the deep ones, so my holes get even wider. Most of the copper cents were wheats, some in the 20’s and 30’s. Even the Jefferson nickels were early dates ranging in the 30’s -50’s. I’ve had some luck in this area before, so I knew it had silver, but I’m not usually able to reach it. An enjoyable day hunting one of my favorite, more local beaches.

20231216_122920.jpg

20231216_123455.jpg

20231216_123620.jpg

20231212_113635.jpg

20231212_115032.jpg

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 5

33 minutes ago, The_Stalker said:

A lot of nice silver from the 40's and 50's.  Another great hunt.  When does the AQ join the hunting stable?

Thanks. 40's/50's seems to be the most popular era I can reach. Deeper is the original 20's/30's layer, yet to be exposed. As for the AQ, if I can get the USPS to do what they are supposed to do, I should have it in about a week or two.

• Like 2

The silvers pic was awesome !  The deep hole  ?  Not so much .🥸 bet you were glad to be a son of the beach after digging that one !!

You're still making me look bad  BTW ! 😩  

Keeperwise . My 10 month wrap up won't look like much compared to your every hunt ! 🙄 the junk will though !   👍 

It was the best I could do here , so far.

I miss the beaches , only got about 10 minutes on one ( which was just enough time !!!! )... I dug through 4" of frozen dirt a couple of times yesterday .Then I  realized why and moved out of the shade :blink: but that's not gonna work too much longer , arrrrrrgh !🏴‍☠️  GL+HH 

• Like 2

Looks like you sure get your exercise when you hunt!  Your 16 inch hole picture sure shows even 16 is crazy deep to be digging and is to the point of a struggle to do.

Congrads on all the Silver ....... and the AQ!! 

• Like 2