Beach Hunt 2023 Has Started

19 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Looking forward to Beach Hunt 2024 has started, and hope it exceeds 10 pages. 

Thanks!!  Me too 😄. I  didn't dare go out today or else! 😬. I'm lucky to live fairly close enough to beaches that have a lot of old coins still left there.

Beach hunt #14 is history. I just needed to get out and detect, but I also just wanted to stay as close to home as possible. So, it was at my second favorite (almost first favorite) beach. It gave me silver two times in a row, but this time I just couldn’t squeak one out. 😭 Almost all finds were modern, including some Jeffersons that I swore would be from the 40’s, but were no older that the late 70’s. It did, however, give me a Buffalo nickel as well as a surprise Liberty V nickel. First V from this beach that I can remember. Also, an old tiny oval pin that looks like it was from the 20’s or so. So, a bit of a reward for all my effort. I did have to dig a ton of iron just to get the area sort of clean. Not pictured are all the other railroad spikes that I left there along with other huge iron. Sorry, I’m not lugging that out. 😄  Worth the exercise and a pretty pleasant weather day after all.

20231228_190115.jpg

20231228_190537.jpg

20231228_190728.jpg

Well you still got some stuff near or over 100 years old! 👍 I imagine some of the iron is too.

Of late I'm feeling kind of guilty for not digging more iron, every time I see your posts especially 😅 I can only imagine what I am missing when I skip it. 🤔 There aren't any trash cans in the fields, so I have to lug everything out or toss it in the nearest ravine 🤣

As usual, an enviable exercise in detecting discipline. 🏆

42 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Well you still got some stuff near or over 100 years old! 👍 I imagine some of the iron is too.

Of late I'm feeling kind of guilty for not digging more iron, every time I see your posts especially 😅 I can only imagine what I am missing when I skip it. 🤔 There aren't any trash cans in the fields, so I have to lug everything out or toss it in the nearest ravine 🤣

Take my word for it Mr.Bob and I absolutely mean no disrespect because you have paid your dues and then some and have done extraordinary well.But coming from an old and longtime iron hunter and diggers perspective and judging by the types and age of the sites that you hunt and the incredibly early finds that you have made.You would probably be shocked by what you have passed up....But as you probably know by now I am opionionated and by no means always right. 

7 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

Take my word for it Mr.Bob and I absolutely mean no disrespect because you have paid your dues and then some and have done extraordinary well.But coming from an old and longtime iron hunter and diggers perspective and judging by the types and age of the sites that you hunt and the incredibly early finds that you have made.You would probably be shocked by what you have passed up....But as you probably know by now I am opionionated and by no means always right. 

Hey Doc,

While I hate to wax off topic 😏 especially in someone else's thread, in penitence I searched for "backpack wheelbarrow" and found one:pushingthewheelbarrow.jpg.872ca65d40d7d5b52beaaae1380af393.jpg

There are other lighter ones that hold up to 80 pounds but this one probably best illustrates what I would need. 😅

350 years of plowing fields yields a lot of plough parts and other objects made from the swords and spears of conflict. When I do dig iffy targets (probably forged) they nearly always turn out to be oddly shaped heavy broken iron, maybe that's why there aren't a lot of rocks here anymore 🤔 Or not 🤣

When I first started detecting I nobly thought I would help the farmers by removing some of the iron that gets caught in their machines causing damage, but quickly discovered the folly. 😁 My pouch was never large enough.

I'll look into finding an eager assistant to wield this mighty device. Perhaps there are still a few Squires...

But seriously i should make a day of it now and then. 🙂

I see there's a nice storage "trunk" on your new walker  there 350 !  🥸

I try to keep the car close by but sometimes just leave the iron by the nearest road/path and drive back to collect it all.

I like EVH shreds as much as the next guy but yearn for some Slow Hand so I can have a chance to find the elusive "golden pick" !😏

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Hey Doc,

While I hate to wax off topic 😏 especially in someone else's thread, in penitence I searched for "backpack wheelbarrow" and found one:pushingthewheelbarrow.jpg.872ca65d40d7d5b52beaaae1380af393.jpg

There are other lighter ones that hold up to 80 pounds but this one probably best illustrates what I would need. 😅

350 years of plowing fields yields a lot of plough parts and other objects made from the swords and spears of conflict. When I do dig iffy targets (probably forged) they nearly always turn out to be oddly shaped heavy broken iron, maybe that's why there aren't a lot of rocks here anymore 🤔 Or not 🤣

When I first started detecting I nobly thought I would help the farmers by removing some of the iron that gets caught in their machines causing damage, but quickly discovered the folly. 😁 My pouch was never large enough.

I'll look into finding an eager assistant to wield this mighty device. Perhaps there are still a few Squires...

I hear you 350.....I just carry a burlap gunny sack for all of the junk iron and cans horseshoes etc.I have become very cautious about being a flinger in these times or creating leaver-rite piles to tip off other people because there is no use advertising. I spent six hours the day after Cristmas digging mostly iron and a multitude of other junk targets at a site that had early occupation 1820's thru the 1870's but unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it was heavily polluted by a second occpation in the 1930's.It was a lot of work but payed off with a few very nice early period iron relics and other artifacts.Will be heading back in a few days after the weather breaks with the d2 using the modified relic and goldfield programs {like the IAR disc} will probably do a post at some point?

Good hunting to you and Happy New Year!

Doc

'

20 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks. I'm happy with the V nickel since they are harder to come by on a beach. If it was a cellar hole hunt, I'd be like "Crap just a V nickel" 😄. Some advice for you if you choose to dig some iron......detect that ravine first (snakes and all). That is inevitably where the gold coins would have been found (Murphy's Law) 🙄 Seriously, digging some large, overpowering signals may get you a lot of big iron, but may get you a cannon ball or musket barrel. You never know. Digging that fort just last week, I finally decided to dig an iron target and found some scissors from the 1812 era. Not ground shattering but a cool, personal find.

20 hours ago, geof_junk said:

You are a glutton for punishment.  🤩

Yes I am 😅. It only hurts for a day.🤕 Seriously, after digging all day, the ride home hurts more than the hunt.

19 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

When cellar hole (or farm field) hunting, I was never one to dig iron. But the few times I did, I found some neat relics like full strap hinges, a cool looking fire place ash removing tool, some adze, axes, hoes, etc.. Even a cool looking ornamental top piece to a parlor wood stove. You never know what will show up.

11 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Hey Doc,

That's exactly what you need.😅 You can pay for it from all the scrap iron you recycle!!!.  It would be nice to see what you come up with if you do try and dig some iron.