47 minutes ago, noob said:

Has anyone tried using the AQ for gold prospecting? Just curious..

They're cheap now so I thought I might give it a go.

I think @Steve Herschbach did, from memory it wouldn't handle the ground conditions of gold fields very well.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, noob said:

Has anyone tried using the AQ for gold prospecting? Just curious..

They're cheap now so I thought I might give it a go.

Completely useless, worse than a cheap VLF. I thought it might handle mild Nevada ground but remember - it has no ground balance. I could only get it to behave dialed down so low I'd be better off with anything else. Banged on hot rocks like they were going out of style. No, there is a reason that there was going to be a separate Impulse Gold.

Frankly, the Impulse Gold was the machine I wanted because an Impulse with a full ground balance with sufficient range would work anywhere. The AQ being tuned specifically for a beach environments was quite limiting. But the Impulse Gold never has made it out of the starting gate and probably never will.

11 hours ago, noob said:

Wow, Fisher really dropped the ball there... what a wasted opportunity. 

Yup, the potential big money was always going to be a gold prospecting detector, not a beach PI detector. PI beach detecting is a small niche in the overall small beach detecting market. If FT had focused first on the gold nugget version they would have reaped the benefits worldwide of todays rising gold prices. It was the easy play, since it did not have to be waterproof, and would also have hit the relic and wading beach market, all in one machine. Success there could have paved the way for a waterproof version to follow. They got everything about this backwards.

10 hours ago, Pulltab said:

Maybe I should buy that used Tesoro Sand Shark that I saw for sale…

Decent detector. Not as deep as AQ and the audio is not as crisp an indicator as the AQ that lets one walk away from several iron targets. The Sand Shark I had paid for itself in finds.

On 4/4/2024 at 12:03 AM, stateguy said:

I called fisher to see if this was legit. The woman couldn’t answer my question and told me someone would get back to me. 
That was two days ago never herd anything and my eBay offer expired 

First Texas regularly has new products listed on eBay. The other month I bought a $500 retail night vision monocular for $175.  They had some of the less expensive Teknetics detectors listed too. 

In regards to my post on page 4 on April 11th: I am not surprised to inform you that First Texas has not replied via eBay to my query on the excessive postage charges to the UK, nor have they replied to my email, details on the aforementioned post.

Some way to run a business eh, I will never purchase an item from First Texas anytime in the future.

It will be interesting to see how the customer support will be when these 'Limited' very prone to failure units need repairs.

Regards,

Rog

6 hours ago, Roger said:

It will be interesting to see how the customer support will be when these 'Limited' very prone to failure units need repairs.

Regards,

Rog

I had no problem with customer service, used once. Turn around was quick. Second AQ had a bad coil connection on the detector side. It was a easy fix, they sent me a new machine. All took about 3 weeks, they even paid for the postage to them. My only argument with FT ... it should have been a longer warranty since many took a chance, and offered their time.

I probably would not have noticed that but look at the D2, a 5 year warranty. At one time Fisher sold many CZ20s..Lifetime warranty.