The Legend Beast Mode Demonstration

Thanks for that Hardpack, but I understand that 🙂

What I was getting at, is if Park mode was used in A for those targets, and the tone break was set at the minimum of 1, then would Park mode have given an ID and/or tone on those targets? Perhaps choppy ferrous tones and ID of 2 or 3? Or maybe an occasional nonferrous tone and ID?

I would have liked to have seen the differences between BM and Park on those targets, with Park mode setup the way I mentioned (more equal to BM mode).

I won't be able to do any more testing until Saturday, but that's the way I'll set up Park mode when I do that testing and compare each mode. 

Thank You Dilek, the engineers and field testers and Nokta.  That was an outstanding set of videos.

They answered two big questions for me.

1. Do I need to do a ground balance in Beast Mode using the normal ground grab procedure?

Yes, especially where I detect since without one my Legend just howls if I even move it a couple of inches left, right up or down. After doing a normal ground grab, my Legend in Beast Mode was very quiet.

2. When do I need to use the second ground balance for MBe?

Since the soil I hunt in has high iron mineralization I assumed I needed to do the second ground balance and I found that to be very tedious. So, no I don't need to do the second ground balance unless I am experiencing actual detectable as targets hot rocks and/or changeable ground conditions that can be detected as targets.

I was able to try MBe at a site with very little EMI but with high iron mineralization.

I used my Manticore to find 6 wild borderline targets that could be a rusted nail or a US high conductor coin like a wheat penny, copper memorial penny, clad dime or silver dime. All of these targets sounded very iffy using the Manticore but I would have recovered them if possible. I flagged those targets. They all seemed to be at least 7" deep judging from the Manticore's depth readings and from the less intense lower tone when pinpointing those targets with the Manticore's pinpoint function. I was using the Manticore in All Terrain General with its preset upper and lower iron limits, All Metals accepted, recovery speed 5, 5 tones, Normal audio, sensitivity 24.

I got out my Legend and had it setup for Park M1, A discrimination pattern sensitivity 24, recovery speed 5, iron filter 1, iron stability 4, bottle cap 0, 6 tones with tone breaks at 10, 20, 29, 43 and 50. I also had Beast Mode setup with the A discrimination pattern, sensitivity 24, recovery speed 5, iron reject 0.

I went over each flagged target using Park M1 as setup. All 6 targets gave very faint to no response with the responses being mostly iron responses and target IDs of 1 to 4 or 59/60. These responses were much more iffy and tending towards iron than the Manticore's. The targets were also a bit difficult to pinpoint using the Legends pinpoint function, meaning that getting all of the pinpoint graph bars to fill up was hard to do which usually means the target is iron from experience.

Using the Beast Mode as setup, all 6 targets were very easy to isolate with distinct high tones with iron reject on 0. Adjusting iron reject to 2 helped to determine which targets were probably iron and which were not. Target IDs were 1 to 4 on these targets with the occasional 55 to 60. Much like the demonstration video, targets that had a non ferrous response and target ID of 2 that were actually iron, had ferrous responses when I turned up the iron reject setting to 2. Those iron targets still had a target ID of 2. So, as Nokta has repeatedly said, do not depend on the target IDs when using Beast Mode. The Legend in Beast mode correctly identified all 6 targets as far as ferrous or non-ferrous. 4 targets were rusted nails in the 8 to 10" depth range and 2 targets were US wheat pennies again in the 8 to 10" range.

Well done Nokta!!!!

6 hours ago, Nokta Detectors said:

The Legend Beast Mode Demonstration

In Multi BE mode, A discrimination pattern, I have performed the primary ground balance over the mineralized ground; then performed the 2nd ground balance over a hot rock.

Question: Which of the two ground balances is the Legend now utilizing or is the Legend using both the primary and 2nd ground balance?

Question: In Multi BE mode, how is the SMF weighted.

11 minutes ago, HardPack said:

In Multi BE mode, A discrimination pattern, I have performed the primary ground balance over the mineralized ground; then performed the 2nd ground balance over a hot rock.

Question: Which of the two ground balances is the Legend now utilizing or is the Legend using both the primary and 2nd ground balance?

Question: In Multi BE mode, how is the SMF weighted.

I am going to guess that performing both ground balances creates a ground balance "window". 

This dual ground balancing when it wasn't necessary was causing me to not be able to detect some targets that the Legend should have detected in Beast Mode. To prove that, I did a little testing earlier today with a US half dime at 7" depth. Previously Beast mode missed that target when doing both ground balances. Today just doing a "normal" ground grab after going into Beast Mode, the US half dime was easy to detect. Park M1 in the A discrimination pattern struggled to hit that same target and just had faint ferrous responses.

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I am going to guess that performing both ground balances creates a ground balance "window". 

That would be consistent to what I was seeing, the primary ground balance would be approximately 42, the hot rock 2nd ground balance was approximately 47. While sweeping the coil away from hot rocks the Legend was still balanced to the mineralized ground. The ground balance reset operation may be a benefit on sites where hot rocks widely spaced.  

9 hours ago, Digalicious said:

What I was getting at, is if Park mode was used in A for those targets, and the tone break was set at the minimum of 1, then would Park mode have given an ID and/or tone on those targets? Perhaps choppy ferrous tones and ID of 2 or 3? Or maybe an occasional nonferrous tone and ID?

Along the same vein, I would have liked to have seen how some of the other settings (Recovery Speed, Iron Filter, etc) were set for the Park/Field modes in the Nokta video. Maybe it’s safe to assume they were left at default settings since they weren’t specifically mentioned? Lower recovery speed in the original modes can definitely improve detection depth in many situations. Beast mode obviously has its own detection limit for a given soil environment, so it would be interesting to see how the full settings compared in the video for reference. 

(Edit: Nevermind - on rewatching the video, I see the recovery speed was specifically mentioned…don’t know how I missed that!)

Regardless, thanks for the video, Nokta - it helps clear up many questions. 

It's freezing outside with gale force winds, but I couldn't wait any longer and had to do a new test.

Park Mode in A, first tone break at 1, 25 sensitivity, 3 recovery, IF 0, BC 0, AG 3.

I used a U.S. nickel, ground balanced at 26 on clean ground, and buried the nickel deep enough that in Park mode, I would very occasionally get a tone and an ID of 2 and 3. The signal was so iffy, that it could easily be mistaken as some of the ground signal coming through.

I switched on DT and set it to 3. I now got fairly consistent two way hits, but they were kind of "crunchy". The ID jumped from 2/3, and I saw a 48 / 50 a few times.

Switched to BM using A and set the IR at 2, AG at 3. Ground balanced at 31 on clean ground. The two way hits were much cleaner than DT, and the ID was similar to DT.

On a side note, I tripled checked the ground balance in Park and BM, to confirm that the ground balance was slightly different between those modes.

I have used the BM mode relic hunting for a couple days now and after setting the IR to 2 (and all metal)I am able to tell the difference between the ferrous and non ferrous targets. I really like this mode for relic hunting as it doesn't seem to miss any relics  and its cool how you can crank the sensitivity up the whole way and there is no chatter..however after burying a couple shallow (4 inch quarter,dime,and modern penny) coins I noticed that the park and Field modes were noticeably  better on these targets than the BM . The BM was really sketchy especially on the dime. Could it be that they need to be a bit deeper for the BM to shine?

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Thank You Dilek, the engineers and field testers and Nokta.  That was an outstanding set of videos.

They answered two big questions for me.

1. Do I need to do a ground balance in Beast Mode using the normal ground grab procedure?

Yes, especially where I detect since without one my Legend just howls if I even move it a couple of inches left, right up or down. After doing a normal ground grab, my Legend in Beast Mode was very quiet.

2. When do I need to use the second ground balance for MBe?

Since the soil I hunt in has high iron mineralization I assumed I needed to do the second ground balance and I found that to be very tedious. So, no I don't need to do the second ground balance unless I am experiencing actual detectable as targets hot rocks and/or changeable ground conditions that can be detected as targets.

I was able to try MBe at a site with very little EMI but with high iron mineralization.

I used my Manticore to find 6 wild borderline targets that could be a rusted nail or a US high conductor coin like a wheat penny, copper memorial penny, clad dime or silver dime. All of these targets sounded very iffy using the Manticore but I would have recovered them if possible. I flagged those targets. They all seemed to be at least 7" deep judging from the Manticore's depth readings and from the less intense lower tone when pinpointing those targets with the Manticore's pinpoint function. I was using the Manticore in All Terrain General with its preset upper and lower iron limits, All Metals accepted, recovery speed 5, 5 tones, Normal audio, sensitivity 24.

I got out my Legend and had it setup for Park M1, A discrimination pattern sensitivity 24, recovery speed 5, iron filter 1, iron stability 4, bottle cap 0, 6 tones with tone breaks at 10, 20, 29, 43 and 50. I also had Beast Mode setup with the A discrimination pattern, sensitivity 24, recovery speed 5, iron reject 0.

I went over each flagged target using Park M1 as setup. All 6 targets gave very faint to no response with the responses being mostly iron responses and target IDs of 1 to 4 or 59/60. These responses were much more iffy and tending towards iron than the Manticore's. The targets were also a bit difficult to pinpoint using the Legends pinpoint function, meaning that getting all of the pinpoint graph bars to fill up was hard to do which usually means the target is iron from experience.

Using the Beast Mode as setup, all 6 targets were very easy to isolate with distinct high tones with iron reject on 0. Adjusting iron reject to 2 helped to determine which targets were probably iron and which were not. Target IDs were 1 to 4 on these targets with the occasional 55 to 60. Much like the demonstration video, targets that had a non ferrous response and target ID of 2 that were actually iron, had ferrous responses when I turned up the iron reject setting to 2. Those iron targets still had a target ID of 2. So, as Nokta has repeatedly said, do not depend on the target IDs when using Beast Mode. The Legend in Beast mode correctly identified all 6 targets as far as ferrous or non-ferrous. 4 targets were rusted nails in the 8 to 10" depth range and 2 targets were US wheat pennies again in the 8 to 10" range.

Well done Nokta!!!!

Jeff, did you experiment with Dt in Park mode on those flagged targets?  The little extra depth I can get with BE mode comes with little to no extra target information compared to Dt enhancement at practically the same depth.